Question pc suddenly hibernates, doesn't respond, no post on reboot

Jun 5, 2020
hi there everyone, this is going to be the first thread i started in any kind of forum so i hope you'd bear with me on this...

specs
proc: i5 6600k
mobo: msi b250m mortar
gpu: palit gtx 760 jetstream
ram: 2x8gb teamgroup rgb tforce delta (3000mhz)
psu: 80+ rated cooler master 550w

ok, so whilst playing on my pc the display suddenly went dark while the fans and led lights were still on (as if it was on hibernate mode) but it won't respond or awaken despite keyboard/mouse input or even by long pressing the power button. after a minute or two of exhausting all efforts to awaken it i decided to pull out the power cord and tried to turn the thing on again but to my dismay it didn't post although the fans (including my gpus) and leds turned on, the cpu ez debug led was also on.

At first i thought it might have overheated so i waited another 5minutes or so then tried booting it again, this time it did boot but upon checking the performance tabs on my task manager it shows that it's already at 100% cpu usage, upon inspecting my task manager, the usage load of roughly 30 - 60% were alternating from 4 diff services (task manager.exe, msiLED.exe, triggermonitor.exe, and desktowindowsmanager.exe) .

What's more weird it that when i pull up my start menu or search menu from my desktop taskbar it just automatically keeps on scrolling down (until the last entry), tried removing my mouse and keyboard respectively to check if either of them were damaged but the problem still persisted so i tried searching online for solutions (for the 100% cpu usage and auto scrolling issue) but found none.

After 30mins or so may pc "pseudo" hibernated again, but this time around it wouldn't post (even after waiting 30mins or so before i tried rebooting it) but as aforementioned, the peripherals were on, fans and leds turned on and the cpu debug led was again, on.

now i'm at a loss.after the seriesnof unfortunate events that happened tonight, i don't know if the abovementioned issues (hibernates then doesn't post, auto scrolling, and 100‰ cpu usage) are related or not, and as to how i would go about fixing them

i will try to boot it again later since it's already 3am here in the philippines and i have yet to sleep, but any input or suggestions or further queries would be more than appreciated guys. thanks!

PS - tried resetting the cmos by removing the cmos battery already but to no avail. i am also thinking that maybe the thermal paste has already dried up so i'll try repasting tommorrow (haven't repasted in at least 2yrs now) but i'm still quite boggled as to what's causing the auto scrolling problem and i have no idea how to fix the 100% cpu usage issue too

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020
reapplied thermal paste, now my pc runs but still at 100% cpu usage even with just a browser open but luckily the auto scrolling problem was gone (still boggled as to why that happened tho)