[SOLVED] PC suddenly reboots w/o apparent warning

guimauves

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
I built a light enterprise machine for my parent's architectural firm, and for the past several months (since march 2020) has been running like a dream. About a month back they said it had suddenly reboot and when questioned about it had said it wasn't under any strenuous loads, simply document viewing. Since then it's happened several more times, at sporadic times (from minutes after restart to several hours into a workday) and both with and without any heavy loads on the system. I've tried dusting it out, checking to make sure all the connections to and from the motherboard are secure, running a memtest to diagnose the DIMMs, had them constantly monitor the CPU temp, ran a virus scan, and nothing seems to be amiss. Any suggestions on further troubleshooting? I know the RAM is running at 2133 MHz right now since I haven't ever tried OC'ing before, could the lower speed be causing instability?

System specs:
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1920x
ASRock X399 Phantom Gaming 6
G.Skill TridentZ 32GB 3000MHz
PNY Nvidia Quadro RTX 4000
Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1050W
Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 with 4 Noctua NF-P14 case fans
Crucial 1TB SSD

Temps:
CPU @ 56 °C Tctl, 28 °C Tdie (within 1/2 °C between both nodes)
MB @ 26 °C
RAM @ 28-30 °C Between DIMMs
GPU @ 37 °C

Thanks!

Solution
My canned random reboot Rant
Random reboots are usually caused by the PSU, the RAM or software AND in that order of likely-hood.
PSU - If you can borrow/swap a PSU for testing. sibling/friend you can swap out the PSU and each system will be testing the other.
RAM - run the system with one stick of RAM see if stability returns if not Test all the RAM with memtest 86 for five passes or overnight. if you get no 0 errors after more than five passes the ram is good. with the random reboots I would suggest running this test after the PSU swap or after the PSU has been cleared.
Software - Drivers or other issues can cause reboots. Boot to a linux distro on a USB drive. mint linux will boot to memtest86. you can run the OS from the...
I built a light enterprise machine for my parent's architectural firm, and for the past several months (since march 2020) has been running like a dream. About a month back they said it had suddenly reboot and when questioned about it had said it wasn't under any strenuous loads, simply document viewing. Since then it's happened several more times, at sporadic times (from minutes after restart to several hours into a workday) and both with and without any heavy loads on the system. I've tried dusting it out, checking to make sure all the connections to and from the motherboard are secure, running a memtest to diagnose the DIMMs, had them constantly monitor the CPU temp, ran a virus scan, and nothing seems to be amiss. Any suggestions on further troubleshooting? I know the RAM is running at 2133 MHz right now since I haven't ever tried OC'ing before, could the lower speed be causing instability?

System specs:
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1920x
ASRock X399 Phantom Gaming 6
G.Skill TridentZ 32GB 3000MHz
PNY Nvidia Quadro RTX 4000
Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1050W
Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 with 4 Noctua NF-P14 case fans
Crucial 1TB SSD

Temps:
CPU @ 56 °C Tctl, 28 °C Tdie (within 1/2 °C between both nodes)
MB @ 26 °C
RAM @ 28-30 °C Between DIMMs
GPU @ 37 °C

Thanks!
Have you made sure the bios and all mobi drivers are fully up to date, plus think of enabling xmp for ram making them run full speed

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
My canned random reboot Rant
Random reboots are usually caused by the PSU, the RAM or software AND in that order of likely-hood.
PSU - If you can borrow/swap a PSU for testing. sibling/friend you can swap out the PSU and each system will be testing the other.
RAM - run the system with one stick of RAM see if stability returns if not Test all the RAM with memtest 86 for five passes or overnight. if you get no 0 errors after more than five passes the ram is good. with the random reboots I would suggest running this test after the PSU swap or after the PSU has been cleared.
Software - Drivers or other issues can cause reboots. Boot to a linux distro on a USB drive. mint linux will boot to memtest86. you can run the OS from the USB and await reboot.
end canned rant

Solution