Question PC Suddenly Restarts when Gaming - Beeps 5 Times

enzdude

Prominent
Oct 24, 2018
Hey y'all,

This problem has risen recently. Whenever I'm gaming (almost always while playing Elite: Dangerous VR), my PC will suddenly restart for no reason whatsoever. No BSoD, no warning. My display and headset go to black, the audio is still there, and then it restarts after a few seconds. If I do nothing and let it do its thing, it will POST-code beep 5 times (and interestingly afterwards gives a single successful beep) and my screens stays black. Cutting the power and starting it usually fixes this. Is there any reason why this is happening?

Thanks.

Specs (All stock clocks):
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 (Stock Cooler)
XFX RX 580 Black Core Edition (Factory OC)
ASRock B450M Pro4
G.SKILL Ripjaws V 2x8GB @ 3200 MHz
Corsair CX550W Non-modular PSU

@enzdude
One question ... did you install a speaker on your motherboard? If not, the beeps are not a POST code from your motherboard, but probably coming from your video card (new one for me ... happened to a buddy just a couple days ago).

If your video card is crashing, the question then is is this a overheating or a power issue? I would be temped to pull off the side panel and try your game again. If it doesn't crash, then it likely is a heat issue. You may have dust in your fan filters or just need another fan or 2.

enzdude

Prominent
Oct 24, 2018
Yes, I did install a chassis speaker onto the motherboard. I know it's not from the GPU because it makes the same tone from when I was breadboarding (had a RAM issue at the time).

I also run my PC case with the front panel off (Rosewill SRM-01, not much airflow) because the fans get loud and temps get high.

Yes, I did install a chassis speaker onto the motherboard. I know it's not from the GPU because it makes the same tone from when I was breadboarding (had a RAM issue at the time).

I also run my PC case with the front panel off (Rosewill SRM-01, not much airflow) because the fans get loud and temps get high.

Ok, so this is a POST issue ... the 4 beeps on the AMI BIOS is a failure of the clock IC (integrated circuit) or something with RAM (1st bank). Since you had RAM issues in the past I would lean that way ... but since you also say you have (or had?) high temperatures it could be that.

enzdude

Prominent
Oct 24, 2018
I resolved the RAM issues in the past by just opting for new RAM sticks (replaced overclocked Ballistix Sport LT 2x8GB). I'll assume high temperatures.

enzdude

Prominent
Oct 24, 2018
It's a lot harder to monitor temperatures with a VR headset, I'll say that.

Now, I have my side panel off, and my CPU is running a lot cooler (downward facing fan). No crashes have happened since, so it's safe to say my temperatures are getting high. I might look into getting a case, as my current one is a low-budget option with not very good airflow.

Reactions: anotherdrew