Question PC suddenly restarts when playing games

RVL

Jun 8, 2019
My PC details:-
Processor: AMD FX-6300 Six Core CPU (3.5ghz/8mb cache/am3+)
Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 (DDR3, USB 3.0, 6gb/s
Memory (RAM): 8GB Kingston Hyper-X Fury Dual-DDR3 1600MHz (1 x 8gb)
Graphics Card: 2GB AMD Radeon R9 270X - DVI HDMI, DP-DX 11, Eyefinity 4 capable
Power Supply: Corsair 450w VS Series VS-450 Power Supply
My PC is about 4 years old now and passed the warranty.

I've tried system scan and repairs, dedusting the PC (which had barely any dust when opened up), updating drivers, fresh installs of Windows (now 8 as I got 10 for free when it first came out) and game files, using lower graphics. Using lower graphics worked for a bit but have found the problem is happening again. Games I tend to play are simulators.

I've been monitoring temps using openhardwaremonitor. Core temp tends to max at 46C. On higher graphics, GPU temp maxes at 48C. On lower graphics, GPU temp maxes at 39C. I don't think the problem is overheating but could be wrong.

So this leads me to think there may be a problem with my power supply. What do you guys think? Can you recommend any good power supplies for my set up?
I don't have a huge amount of knowledge on specially built PCs so please be gentle =) Thank you!

That's a low quality psu and really for that system you want a good 500w. I cannot guarantee its the psu but it seems like a good place to start. If you are on a budget the Corsair CX550 is an ok choice, if you can go better then the Seasonic Focus Gold 550 is excellent quality.

Reactions: RVL

RVL

Jun 8, 2019
Looks like you eliminated one common cause other one being power but PSU may not be only possible problem. Older MBs tend to have problems with capacitors.

Thanks for highlighting that. I'll take a look under the hood and see if that's the problem.

If they have gone bad, I'm guessing that's it then and I might as well get a new PC?