Question PC suddenly running slow and hanging sometimes

Madpoli

Prominent
May 24, 2019
Anywhere from booting being slow, small system hangs especially if I have lots of stuff open, and lag spikes in games. I don't know what is causing it but it first happened a few days ago. At first I suspected it possibly to be the hard drive but there are no weird sounds coming from it and in event viewer there are no errors related to the disk and it actually says it's healthy as you can see in this screenshot: http://prntscr.com/nt043c (that event is from today)

Basic specs:
CPU: Dual Core Intel i3
RAM: 4GB DDR4
GPU: Intel UHD 620

Stuff I tried:

• Chkdsk
• System restore (kinda helped but still running slow)
• sfc /scannow
• Scanned for viruses w/ malwarebytes
• Ran ccleaner and also used it to clean registry
• Uninstalled some programs I don't use
• Disabled a bunch of services I don't use

If anyone has suggestions as to what else I could do please let me know.

Update: Here are my temperatures just in case it's that which it looks fine to me
http://prntscr.com/nt8ilr

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Ideally you should list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Which version of Windows 10 are you on? A lot of people are experiencing problems with the new OS update/version 1903 who were previously on an older version. Might want to check and see what your motherboard BIOS is. What is the make and model of your HDD? You might want to have a utility tool for that HDD made by the manufacturer to see if the drive is on it's way out.

Madpoli

Prominent
May 24, 2019
Ideally you should list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Which version of Windows 10 are you on? A lot of people are experiencing problems with the new OS update/version 1903 who were previously on an older version. Might want to check and see what your motherboard BIOS is. What is the make and model of your HDD? You might want to have a utility tool for that HDD made by the manufacturer to see if the drive is on it's way out.
The HDD make and model were really hidden in the bios but it's a toshiba MQ04ABF100. I couldn't find anything else about the specs because I'm using a laptop and I can't look inside of it easily. I'm running version 1709. I just ran a quick component test in the hp hardware dianostics which tests the hard drive, cpu, ram, etc. and everything passed so I'm guessing it's most likely not a hardware problem.

Last edited:

Madpoli

Prominent
May 24, 2019
It's a very very low spec setup , would have lags.
Not this much lag though. I have never had so many lag spikes and hanging. Playing league of legends for example I get 70-90 fps on medium graphics without lag spikes. I still get that much fps now but there are lag spikes occasionally. Also the system takes much longer to open programs even simple stuff like file explorer sometimes takes up to 5 seconds to open when it would usually be about 1 second.

Last edited: