Question PC suddenly shut down while in use, now won't boot, both fans will work for a second then stop.

May 31, 2020
Hi there, I need Help! Recently i have replace monitor (1600x900) with another one (1368x768) ! Pc works fine till 10 minutes ,then it showed some warning that the gpu went error and recovered, after some time, pc automatically shutsdown! And a burning smell also came from the cpu!

I suddenly switched off everything! And when I tried to boot up the pc after some time the cpu fan and psu fan works for a second and stops but the light in front of the cpu is on!
Please help! It all started when i replaced the monitor ! Now the pc is not booting!

My Pc:
Gigabyte g33006
Intel i5
8 gb ram corsair ( single)
Gt 210 1gb

May 31, 2020
Are you certain that the burning smell came from the CPU?

The PSU is a much more likely suspect based on your description of events.

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?
Correction: After the pc shutdown, i checked where the smell was coming from , it was from the PSU!
The PSU is a 4yr old iball marathon 500w model!
I even tried to clean the cpu from dust and all, tried cleaning the ram, also replaced the cmos battery too! Is it the PSU that went down? Or maybe the gpu? Im suspecting both because my gpu is a old one

Correction: After the pc shutdown, i checked where the smell was coming from , it was from the PSU!
I even tried to clean the cpu from dust and all, tried cleaning the ram, also replaced the cmos battery too! Is it the PSU that went down? Or maybe the gpu? Im suspecting both because my gpu is a old one
Most likely the PSU died and took other parts with it, what I don't understand is how it links to the monitor change. That PSU can really die anytime considering its quality(the name of that PSU really is an irony), so maybe the monitor change is just a coincidence.

Reactions: rufus.ale
Start with the PSU - look for a replacement with more wattage in order to support newer components.

Here is a link to help plan and pick:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html
He doesn't really need more than a 500 W PSU, he just needs a better quality one. 500 W is already almost overkill for his PC. But most quality PSU's don't come below 450 W, so that's what he needs - a quality 450 W unit, not more wattage.

Reactions: rufus.ale
May 31, 2020
Most likely the PSU died and took other parts with it, what I don't understand is how it links to the monitor change. That PSU can really die anytime considering its quality(the name of that PSU really is an irony), so maybe the monitor change is just a coincidence.
What do u mean other parts? Gpu?

May 31, 2020
He doesn't really need more than a 500 W PSU, he just needs a better quality one. 500 W is already almost overkill for his PC. But most quality PSU's don't come below 450 W, so that's what he needs - a quality 450 W unit, not more wattage.
I hope you are right! Lemme see!

May 31, 2020
But im still confused with why the the two fans just rotate for a sec and stops! If the PSU died, then it shouldn't work right? I hope by replacing the PSU may help me !

Last edited:
What do u mean other parts? Gpu?
Could be any part, since pretty much everything in the system needs power, anything can get affected by a dying PSU, no real way to tell what all might be damaged without getting a new PSU and testing it out. The fans spin up for a second because the computer does try to start up. It's called a boot loop, and a dying PSU is a very common cause of a boot loop. Just replacing the PSU might not help at this point as other parts might also be damaged, especially motherboard and storage drives.

May 31, 2020
Could be any part, since pretty much everything in the system needs power, anything can get affected by a dying PSU, no real way to tell what all might be damaged without getting a new PSU and testing it out. The fans spin up for a second because the computer does try to start up. It's called a boot loop, and a dying PSU is a very common cause of a boot loop. Just replacing the PSU might not help at this point as other parts might also be damaged, especially motherboard and storage drives.
Oh god! I hope my mobo is fine
I shd replace psu

May 31, 2020
I'm not trying to scare you, but the exact same thing happened to me with a cheap Zebronics power supply some time back, and I had to replace the motherboard, RAM and the HDD, along with the PSU. Fortunately my CPU made it out unscathed.
Damn! Yikes! I really hope its the psu! Anyway I'll check it! Thanks for the guidance

May 31, 2020
Update: I removed the PSU and tested it with the paper clip method! It worked fine with no burning smell. But when i fixed the PSU back into the pc, its the same condition ie; both fans runs for a sec and then stops, pc wont boot!

Update: I removed the PSU and tested it with the paper clip method! It worked fine with no burning smell. But when i fixed the PSU back into the pc, its the same condition ie; both fans runs for a sec and then stops, pc wont boot!
The paper clip method just tests whether the PSU turns on or not - it does not tell you anything else. It's not a good way of telling whether the PSU is dead or not, because there are other ways in which a PSU can die. Just get a new PSU, it's the only way to determine if the PSU was the problem or not. If there was a cheaper way, we would have told you(unless you can borrow a PSU from someone, there really is no other way).

May 31, 2020
UPDATE: I swtiched the PSU with a 450w older working PSU, it worked! PC booted! However, I'm trying to buy a new PSU within 500w, any suggestions? Btw, Thank You !

UPDATE: I swtiched the PSU with a 450w older working PSU, it worked! PC booted! However, I'm trying to buy a new PSU within 500w, any suggestions? Btw, Thank You !
A budget would be nice. Your PC doesn't require much power, so 450 W good quality PSU will suffice. If you want a mid-range decent unit, a Corsair CX450 is the way to go. Not too expensive, and good quality. If you want something that just gets the job done, a Corsair VS450 with the grey label is decent enough to power your system. If you want something that lasts for years and something that you can use in a future PC as well, a Seasonic Focus Plus 550 W will give you some headroom for future upgrades and is of excellent quality, but comes with a price to match.

Apr 14, 2020
my PC always make a burning smell but it's ok.

Apr 14, 2020
No, it's definitely NOT okay for a PC to smell like it's burning. You need to stop using it immediately and either diagnose the source of the problem or take it to a repair shop.
i've been thinking about that days before you said it. i brought it to a repair shop. the repairman changed the mobo, PSU, and hard drive (because he said that the components are old and are vulnerable to damages)
but there are still burning smell.
it isn't coming from any of my house. only the PC's area.
neither from any electric things in my house.

i've been thinking about that days before you said it. i brought it to a repair shop. the repairman changed the mobo, PSU, and hard drive (because he said that the components are old and are vulnerable to damages)
but there are still burning smell.
it isn't coming from any of my house. only the PC's area.
neither from any electric things in my house.
It's possible that some part of your case is touching your motherboard, causing a short circuit or some other issue. It might even be the smell of dust...sometimes the two can be quite similar. Anyway, I suggest you start your own thread with the issue, rather than continuing the discussion here.