[SOLVED] PC suddenly shuts down while gaming

Jun 7, 2021
Hello!

I'm having this issue where my PC suddenly shuts down while gaming and does not reboot. It boots back up just fine when I press the power button after that. The issue only occurs with demanding games such as Far Cry 5 (1080p, max settings), RE8 (1080p max setings with RTX on only. Seems to run fine with RTX off). My PC runs just fine otherwise. Temperatures are warm but normal. Screenshot of HWiNFO64. I'm leaning towards PSU issues but I'm not quite sure. I'd like your advice before going through RMA process. I bought everything in fall 2020.

My setup:

-ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4
-AMD Ryzen 5 3600X with Noctua NH-D15S cooler
-G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 3600MHz CL16 Dual Channel Kit (2 x 8GB)
-EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING, 10G-P5-3897-KR, 10GB GDDR6X
-Corsair RM850x PSU

Thanks!

Solution
The PSU is likely not the issue. Yours is a quality model.

Is your motherboard BIOS the latest version available?

Temps look okay from what you shared.

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for entries that occur at the time of the shut downs.

Right-clicking any given error will provide more information. That information may or may be directly helpful.

All in all, varying errors and more numerous errors would, in my mind, make the PSU a prime suspect.

Jun 7, 2021
The PSU is likely not the issue. Yours is a quality model.

Is your motherboard BIOS the latest version available?

Temps look okay from what you shared.

Hi! So I updated my BIOS to AGESA v2 1.2.0.2 and it seems to have resolved the issue so far. I've played RE8 for 1.5 hour with max settings and RTX on and not a single crash throughout the session. According to reddit, there was a well known issue with USB and PCIe stability. Maybe there was a correlation with what I was experiencing, I don't know. I'm just glad it fixed my problems. Thank you for the advice!

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for entries that occur at the time of the shut downs.

Right-clicking any given error will provide more information. That information may or may be directly helpful.

All in all, varying errors and more numerous errors would, in my mind, make the PSU a prime suspect.

I've checked the reliability history and there was a critical error with Razer GameManagerService when the computer last crashed (before the BIOS update). I've looked a bit into that and what I've found is that it is a common issue with Razer Synapse and headsets with USB sound card. Though it may be a result of Windows crashing rather than being the cause. However, it may have something to do with the USB and PCIe stability I mentioned higher up.

I'm curious as to why you're leaning this way.

Seems to be a thermal issue.

I was leaning this way because the crashes only really happened under very heavy load, like in intense game action and only with graphics set to maximum values. Also, in the screenshot I posted, temperatures were a bit high but not alarmingly high in my humble opinion.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it! :)

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Hi! So I updated my BIOS to AGESA v2 1.2.0.2 and it seems to have resolved the issue so far. I've played RE8 for 1.5 hour with max settings and RTX on and not a single crash throughout the session. According to reddit, there was a well known issue with USB and PCIe stability. Maybe there was a correlation with what I was experiencing, I don't know. I'm just glad it fixed my problems. Thank you for the advice!

I've checked the reliability history and there was a critical error with Razer GameManagerService when the computer last crashed (before the BIOS update). I've looked a bit into that and what I've found is that it is a common issue with Razer Synapse and headsets with USB sound card. Though it may be a result of Windows crashing rather than being the cause. However, it may have something to do with the USB and PCIe stability I mentioned higher up.

I was leaning this way because the crashes only really happened under very heavy load, like in intense game action and only with graphics set to maximum values. Also, in the screenshot I posted, temperatures were a bit high but not alarmingly high in my humble opinion.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it! :)
Keeps us posted should anything change. Good luck.