PC suddenly shuts down

TenFoldKO

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016
PC shuts down randomly and abruptly, and can't be turned on for a few minutes. It is a complete shut down, not even the motherboard lights stay on.

This has been happening for around a week now, there was nothing wrong before this started happening all of a sudden. I did not install any new hardware or software for them to be the cause.

The random shut down first happened when I was gaming on my PC (DOS II to be specific), and I suspected gaming was the cause, but it doesn't actually seem to be the problem, because it also happened when I exclusively browsed/watched on google chrome. My PC runs perfectly fine after I turn it on again after the shutdown, I even thought the problem stopped. The smooth performance after turning it on again causes me to hesitate to rule out the cause of the issue. I'd rather not buy a new PSU before knowing that it is definitely the cause. I also do not know if mother boards could cause this type of problem or not.

Some information:
  • My PC is 14 months old and hasn't shown any issues at all, up until now.
    The shutdown doesn't happen very often, once a day on average. It doesn't happen for up to 40~ hours on occasion.
    Google chrome was open during every shutdown I've had (I'm suspicious about this one, it eats lots of memory after all, and causes some games to crash i.e. DS3 and DOS2).
    This seems to be a power supply problem, but I have no alternate PSU/multi-meter to test with currently.
    I left the PC on during my sleep to see if the problem occurs without my use, It didn't. (perhaps because it doesn't happen very frequently, or maybe PC use accelerates the issue).
    This doesn't seem to be a problem cause by software, but I can't find any conclusive evidence for a hardware issue.
    The only occasion where this shutdown occurred frequently (twice in an hour) is when I was playing DOS2 (I haven't managed to reproduce this successfully yet)
    Considering all this, the issue could be simple (I hope). that is because no specific piece hardware is completely malfunctioning, as I can still play games normally until the crash happens.

Specs:
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1
Mobo: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII Intel Z170
GPU : ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 1070 OC edition
CPU: Intel I7-6700K
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200 (2 Sticks)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 120mm
Case : Rosewill THOR V2
Storage: 500gb 850 Samsung EVO SSD, WD Black 2TB (WD2003FZEX)

Things I tried:
1- I tried the windows memory diagnostic to check my RAM, and no problems were found.
2- I monitored my GPU/CPU temps for a while, and neither overheated (65°C at most) enough to cause a forced shutdown.
3- I made sure all the cables were firmly plugged in their places.
4- I inspected all the Case and hardware fans while the PC's on. All of them were running just fine.
5- I used advanced system care to clean my registry and scan for other issues, and updated all drivers with driver booster.
6- I checked for dust, and it doesn't seem to be that heavy inside the case.

Looking forward to solving this issue with your help guys, Thanks.

Solution

I think you're right. the problem has stopped for a while now, if it happens again even once, I will reorder a PSU.
Thanks a bunch for your help, and for being on top of this.

TenFoldKO

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016

What are the odds that it isn't necessarily the PSU but something less significant like the cables for example?
I'm almost convinced that it's the PSU. But how do you reconcile between this, and the fact that the PC runs perfectly fine afterwards?
I already ordered a new PSU but it's still on the way. I can still cancel the order if we solve the problem before the shipment arrives.

KittyFish62

Respectable
Dec 13, 2016
Well, to be honest, there's nothing really else I can think that would cause it other than the power supply. The reason for this is usually (or, at least I think so), if a computer shuts down like that then its drawing too much power and is forced to shut down. Feel free to correct me if you think I'm wrong.

TenFoldKO

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016

I think you're right. the problem has stopped for a while now, if it happens again even once, I will reorder a PSU.
Thanks a bunch for your help, and for being on top of this.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS