Operating SystemWindows 10
Version10.0.19041
Service Pack0
Locale0C09

BIOS
BIOSP4.50
ManufacturerAmerican Megatrends Inc.

The Issue
When I start up games, the game will work fine on max/low settings windowed/fullscreen for about 20 minutes before suddenly the whole system will shut off - screen off, computer off, fans stopped, complete sudden system off.

Solutions Tried
Overheating - Both the GPU and CPU do not go over 70 degrees at any point
PSU - I have replaced the PSU, issue persists
GPU - I have replaced the GPU, issue persists
RAM - Memtest86 ran overnight with 4 passes, RAM looks fine
I have taken out all parts (except CPU) and placed them back into motherboard, issue persists
Windows updated, issue persists
GPU drivers clean install to latest, issue persists
Clear CMOS and replace CMOS battery, issue persists
Cleaned case, no dust, good airflow, issue persists
Used different power point, issue persists

Used different PSU cable, issue persists

I have run out of answers or things to try, does anyone have any advice of what the hell is going on?

Jan 9, 2023
Check software, such as if there is any services running causing it to do this. It could take a hell of a long time, but i’d check to see if any service is causing it to do this

My Specs

Processor
ProcessorAMD Ryzen 5 2600X Six-Core Processor
Number of Cores12
Speed4.2 GHz
Stepping2
Family17
Model08
CPU ID178BFBFF00800F82

Memory
RAM16 GB

Video Card
Video CardNVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER
ChipsetNVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER
ManufacturerNvidia
Hardware T&LYes
Total Memory14 GB
Dedicated Memory6.0 GB
Driver Version31.0.15.2802
Vertex Shader Version5.1
Pixel Shader Version5.1
Plug and Play IDVEN_10DE&DEV_21C4&SUBSYS_87871043&REV_A1
Device21C4
Vendor ID10DE

Operating System
Size64-bit
Operating SystemWindows 10
Version10.0.19041
Service Pack0
Locale0C09

BIOS
BIOSP4.50
ManufacturerAmerican Megatrends Inc.

The Issue
When I start up games, the game will work fine on max/low settings windowed/fullscreen for about 20 minutes before suddenly the whole system will shut off - screen off, computer off, fans stopped, complete sudden system off.

Solutions Tried
Overheating - Both the GPU and CPU do not go over 70 degrees at any point
PSU - I have replaced the PSU, issue persists
GPU - I have replaced the GPU, issue persists
RAM - Memtest86 ran overnight with 4 passes, RAM looks fine
I have taken out all parts (except CPU) and placed them back into motherboard, issue persists
Windows updated, issue persists
GPU drivers clean install to latest, issue persists
Clear CMOS and replace CMOS battery, issue persists
Cleaned case, no dust, good airflow, issue persists
Used different power point, issue persists

Used different PSU cable, issue persists

I have run out of answers or things to try, does anyone have any advice of what the hell is going on?
Take the side panel off the case.
Point a small fan at the innards.
See if it makes a diff.

Jan 9, 2023
What's the brand and model of the PSU, RAM and motherboard?
What storage. SSD or HDD and capacity?

PSU: EVGA 500W Gold
Ram: Corsair, x2 8Gb
SSD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB (OS operates on this)
HDD: WDC HD 1TB (contains images of backups from SSD)
Motherboard: AsRock AB350M Pro4

Update motherboard BIOS to 5.90. Not newer because your cpu (Pinnacle Ridge) is not fully supported in more recent BIOS versions.

What's the exact part number and version number of the RAM?

DRAM_label.jpg

Jan 9, 2023
Update motherboard BIOS to 5.90. Not newer because your cpu (Pinnacle Ridge) is not fully supported in more recent BIOS versions.

DRAM_label.jpg

I have updated to V5.9 in the BIOS, thanks for the heads up about later version of BIOS not supporting my CPU - that could have been a mess. I am going to try running the games now and see if anything has changed. See above for the RAM info.

Jan 9, 2023

DRAM_label.jpg
Okay, I have updated the BIOS to 5.90 and I am still getting this same issue.

20 minutes of game play and then BOOM, blackout system shuts off.

ptTimeBldr

Great
Nov 13, 2022
Have you always experienced this with this system? If not, did you make any hardware changes before it started happening?

Last edited:
With the components you've replaced/tested, the only components left are motherboard and CPU.
Run Prime95 blended stress test (all AVX off) for at least 30 mins to see if you get a shutdown.

Have you performed a visual inspection of the motherboard? Checked for burn marks, distended capacitors, or anything else that appears off?

Jan 9, 2023
Have you always experienced this with this system? If no, did you make any hardware changes before it started happening?
Have you always experienced this with this system? If not, did you make any hardware changes before it started happening?

I recall this started to happen some time last year or the year before, and I just gave up playing games.

I recently thought to myself 'hey, why did I stop playing games' and tried it out, then it all came flooding back this issue and why I never tried to play games again.

So basically this began ages ago, but I have just avoided playing games but now I want to fix this.

20 minutes of game play and then BOOM, blackout system shuts off.
Typically this is because of either thermal shutdown (CPU) or PSU protections kicking in.
Note - PSU can also overheat, if PSU fan died.
I'd suspect high transient power spikes generated by GPU tripping PSU protections.

Try lowering GPU power target with MSI Afterburner. To like 80%.
If that fixes the issue, you need a higher wattage PSU.

Jan 9, 2023
Typically this is because of either thermal shutdown (CPU) or PSU protections kicking in.
Note - PSU can also overheat, if PSU fan died.
I'd suspect high transient power spikes generated by GPU tripping PSU protections.

Try lowering GPU power target with MSI Afterburner. To like 80%.
If that fixes the issue, you need a higher wattage PSU.

So you're suggesting two different GPUs are likely to cause the same transient power spikes? It seems strange to me that it would happen for two different GPUs.

I've also replaced the PSU so it's doubtful that it's an overheating PSU, and as I stated CPU is not overheating.

I will try to underclock my GPU power target and see if it does anything.

Jan 9, 2023
With the components you've replaced/tested, the only components left are motherboard and CPU.
Run Prime95 blended stress test (all AVX off) for at least 30 mins to see if you get a shutdown.

Have you performed a visual inspection of the motherboard? Checked for burn marks, distended capacitors, or anything else that appears off?

I have run Prime95 for about 60 min and had temps of 75 - 80 C for the duration. There was no wanrings or errors and no sudden shutdown.

That tells me that it's unlikely to be any issue with CPU or capacitor issues near the CPU, however I will look near the GPU to see if any capacitors are covered and overheating.

Jan 9, 2023
AB350M%20Pro4DASH(M1).png

I have found a POTENTIAL issue which may cause this.

See the PCIE slot ABOVE the battery? That is currently where my GPU is inserted, now also notice the capacitor below it on the left.

I noticed that my GPU covers this capacitor, and potentially could overheat from the GPU running.

So while the GPU temps are fine, they may heat these capacitors to a temp which causes the system to shut down suddenly.

I will google if anyone else has had issues with these capacitors, and I'll TRY to move my GPU down, however it's doubleful as it looks like it will crush the bottom USB pin connectors.

Jan 9, 2023
Who has two thumbs and found a solution?

points to chest with thumbs

THIS GUY

Okay, with alceryes push I decided to investigate issues with the motherboard. I knew it wasn't the CPU or anything near the CPU as a stress test found nothing, but a GPU stress test caused a system shut off instantly at the usual 20 minute mark.

AB350M%20Pro4DASH(M1).png

This is my motherboard, and as per the reply above the two capacitors are just below the PCIe 3 slot (I am unable to use the other PCIe 3 slot because of the USB pins below). I covered the side of my GPU with a Jatz Crackers box I cut out and stick taped, this created a physical barrier between the TINY gap between the GPU heat sink and the two capacitors.

This barrier appears to have solved the crashing issue, as for why it only started happening this past 12 months, maybe it's just a natural decline in the capacitors ability to run at certian temperatures.

In a nutshell: It turns out it WAS an overheating issue, but it was the transient heat from the GPU heat sink which heated up the two capacitors close by the PCIe 3 slot which the GPU was plugged in. Creating a physical barrier between these two capacitors and the GPU heatsink was enough the protect the capacitors from overheating and causing a system sudden shut off.

ptTimeBldr

Great
Nov 13, 2022
I recall this started to happen some time last year or the year before, and I just gave up playing games.

I recently thought to myself 'hey, why did I stop playing games' and tried it out, then it all came flooding back this issue and why I never tried to play games again.

So basically this began ages ago, but I have just avoided playing games but now I want to fix this.
Right, so this started happening some time ago, but did you make any hardware changes before this problem started?