Question PC suddenly started crashing playing games I previously had no issue with.

wiiman20

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
Hi,
I have recently started experiencing crashes playing games I have been playing for years on my PC. I haven't made any noticeable changes to my machine but I can no longer play games like Dota 2 or CS:GO that I previously had no issues with. My graphics drivers are up-to-date.
The computer will now crash as soon as I get into game-play (launching and using the main menu is fine), all three monitors going a solid color (not consistent colors between crashes) and the sound plays a consistent buzzing sound. I have tried playing with only one monitor plugged into the GPU and with no other applications running with no success.
The only game I have installed that I can play at the moment is League of Legends.

imgur link of monitors after crash: View: https://imgur.com/a/KtLnaDt

Specs:
CPU: i5 2500k 3,3ghz
RAM: HyperX 16 FURY Black, 16 GB, 1866 MHz DDR3
PSU: EVGA 750 GQ
GPU: GTX 980TI
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3

My power supply is new so I don't think that will be an issue.
Any help would be appreciated.

Grobe

Distinguished
If the motherboard is from like 2011 (according some hits from google search) that motherboard may probably be the failing component.

Have a look on the motherboard itself and look for bad capacitors (ususlly those located near the CPU).

Flayed

Upstanding
Oct 8, 2019
Hi,
I have recently started experiencing crashes playing games I have been playing for years on my PC. I haven't made any noticeable changes to my machine but I can no longer play games like Dota 2 or CS:GO that I previously had no issues with. My graphics drivers are up-to-date.
The computer will now crash as soon as I get into game-play (launching and using the main menu is fine), all three monitors going a solid color (not consistent colors between crashes) and the sound plays a consistent buzzing sound. I have tried playing with only one monitor plugged into the GPU and with no other applications running with no success.
The only game I have installed that I can play at the moment is League of Legends.

imgur link of monitors after crash: View: https://imgur.com/a/KtLnaDt

Specs:
CPU: i5 2500k 3,3ghz
RAM: HyperX 16 FURY Black, 16 GB, 1866 MHz DDR3
PSU: EVGA 750 GQ
GPU: GTX 980TI
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3

My power supply is new so I don't think that will be an issue.
Any help would be appreciated.
Sounds like a power issue to me, you may have got a defective unit from new.

beyondlogic

Honorable
Jun 6, 2013
power supply or graphics card is going bad

since you play league on it wouldnt tax that gpu i would go with a bad power supply

as it sounds like the gpu is trying to get the power it needs to ramp up and its failing

so i would try a power supply first before shelling out for a new card

wiiman20

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
I don't think it's the PSU, that was my first thought so I bought a new one (the EVGA). It doesn't work with that or my old 650w Antec PSU.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS