[SOLVED] PC suddenly started crashing playing games I previously had no issue with.

wiiman20

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
Hi,
I have recently started experiencing crashes playing games I have been playing for years on my PC. I haven't made any noticeable changes to my machine but I can no longer play games like Dota 2 or CS:GO that I previously had no issues with. My graphics drivers are up-to-date.
The computer will now crash as soon as I get into game-play (launching and using the main menu is fine), all three monitors going a solid color (not consistent colors between crashes) and the sound plays a consistent buzzing sound. I have tried playing with only one monitor plugged into the GPU and with no other applications running with no success.
The only game I have installed that I can play at the moment is League of Legends.

imgur link of monitors after crash: View: https://imgur.com/a/KtLnaDt

Specs:
CPU: i5 2500k 3,3ghz
RAM: HyperX 16 FURY Black, 16 GB, 1866 MHz DDR3
PSU: EVGA 750 GQ
GPU: GTX 980TI
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3

My power supply is new so I don't think that will be an issue.
Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
power supply or graphics card is going bad

since you play league on it wouldnt tax that gpu i would go with a bad power supply

as it sounds like the gpu is trying to get the power it needs to ramp up and its failing

so i would try a power supply first before shelling out for a new card
If the motherboard is from like 2011 (according some hits from google search) that motherboard may probably be the failing component.

Have a look on the motherboard itself and look for bad capacitors (ususlly those located near the CPU).

Hi,
I have recently started experiencing crashes playing games I have been playing for years on my PC. I haven't made any noticeable changes to my machine but I can no longer play games like Dota 2 or CS:GO that I previously had no issues with. My graphics drivers are up-to-date.
The computer will now crash as soon as I get into game-play (launching and using the main menu is fine), all three monitors going a solid color (not consistent colors between crashes) and the sound plays a consistent buzzing sound. I have tried playing with only one monitor plugged into the GPU and with no other applications running with no success.
The only game I have installed that I can play at the moment is League of Legends.

imgur link of monitors after crash: View: https://imgur.com/a/KtLnaDt

Specs:
CPU: i5 2500k 3,3ghz
RAM: HyperX 16 FURY Black, 16 GB, 1866 MHz DDR3
PSU: EVGA 750 GQ
GPU: GTX 980TI
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3

My power supply is new so I don't think that will be an issue.
Any help would be appreciated.
Sounds like a power issue to me, you may have got a defective unit from new.

power supply or graphics card is going bad

since you play league on it wouldnt tax that gpu i would go with a bad power supply

as it sounds like the gpu is trying to get the power it needs to ramp up and its failing

so i would try a power supply first before shelling out for a new card

Solution