Question PC suddenly stopped working 2 weeks after upgrading CPU to a Ryzen 5900x ?

BovineMasterRace

Honorable
Jun 25, 2016
Was booting up some gloomhaven to play with a friend, loaded into a battle and then just had my computer <removed> its pants. Computer didn't crash to shut off, but rather to something like a standby mode. The ez-debug light on my mobo came on and it just stuck around in the max fans mode (couldn't get into bios).

Now I actually was having a hard time getting the computer to post originally, but I thought I had it figured out. Originally the solution turned out to be flashing the bios (I had a mobo from before the 5000 series released). When I originally got it to post (two weeks ago) I had only one stick of ram in so I shut it down, turned off the power, unplugged it, and rebuilt it with all 4 ram sticks in. Before I tried posting it with all the ram in it, I took it on a 10 minute car ride (I moved it back to my apt), and then set it up on my usual set up. When I tried to start it up, it wouldn't get to bios (again the ez debug led was on). Honestly I don't know how i got it to post that first time back at my apartment except I flashed my bios one more time and that worked. My mobo has an ez-debug light where one of 4 lights come on depending on if its an issue with cpu, ram, vga, or boot. In every case for me it has been the cpu light coming on.

On top of that, when I tried taking 2 of the ram sticks out, my computer would not power on at all, even when all the cables were unchanged, as well as when I bought a new PSU and tried to use those cables. Currently my computer doesn't power on at all.

Things I have tried doing:
  • Flashing Bios
  • Removing the CMOS battery for a few minutes
  • taking out 2 of the ram sticks (leaving 2 in)
  • replacing the PSU
Specs -
Ryzen 5900x cpu
MSI Gaming Plus x570 mobo
FE RTX 3070ti gpu
Corsair RM 750x psu and later a Corsair RM 850x
Corsair Vengeance DDR4 8 gb 3000 speed x 4
2 1tb m.2s for storage

UPDATE
Somehow it powered on again, so i flashed bios and its like it's back to normal working
. Computer is running again but I don't understand what happened or how to stop it from doing this again?

Last edited:
Was booting up some gloomhaven to play with a friend, loaded into a battle and then just had my computer <removed> its pants. Computer didn't crash to shut off, but rather to something like a standby mode. The ez-debug light on my mobo came on and it just stuck around in the max fans mode (couldn't get into bios).

Now I actually was having a hard time getting the computer to post originally, but I thought I had it figured out. Originally the solution turned out to be flashing the bios (I had a mobo from before the 5000 series released). When I originally got it to post (two weeks ago) I had only one stick of ram in so I shut it down, turned off the power, unplugged it, and rebuilt it with all 4 ram sticks in. Before I tried posting it with all the ram in it, I took it on a 10 minute car ride (I moved it back to my apt), and then set it up on my usual set up. When I tried to start it up, it wouldn't get to bios (again the ez debug led was on). Honestly I don't know how i got it to post that first time back at my apartment except I flashed my bios one more time and that worked. My mobo has an ez-debug light where one of 4 lights come on depending on if its an issue with cpu, ram, vga, or boot. In every case for me it has been the cpu light coming on.

On top of that, when I tried taking 2 of the ram sticks out, my computer would not power on at all, even when all the cables were unchanged, as well as when I bought a new PSU and tried to use those cables. Currently my computer doesn't power on at all.

Things I have tried doing:
  • Flashing Bios
  • Removing the CMOS battery for a few minutes
  • taking out 2 of the ram sticks (leaving 2 in)
  • replacing the PSU
Specs -
Ryzen 5900x cpu
MSI Gaming Plus x570 mobo
FE RTX 3070ti gpu
Corsair RM 750x psu and later a Corsair RM 850x
Corsair Vengeance DDR4 8 gb 3000 speed x 4
2 1tb m.2s for storage

UPDATE
Somehow it powered on again, so i flashed bios and its like it's back to normal working
. Computer is running again but I don't understand what happened or how to stop it from doing this again?
follow this step by step in order (read till end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall every gpu driver and using DDU (clean and do not restart, also tick all option in Nvidia option in the ddu settings).
  • Uninstall all the processors (is a must, should be 24 on yours since it's 24 threads, also when it asks for restart, click on no and keep uninstalling all processors) on device manager like this:
    unknown.png

• Uninstall AMD Chipset Software in control panel (if there is none, skip it.)

• reboot the PC to bios, disable AMD fTPM and secure boot (if enabled by default), save and exit, go to bios again, flash to the latest bios (do it again if you're currently using the latest bios) ver 7C37vAI the one with agesa 1.2.0.7, go to bios after finished updating, then load default or optimized settings, enable fastest xmp profile, go to advanced dram timing settings and set them to these: RttNom to 7, RttWr to 3, RttPark to 1, ProcODT to 43.6 or 48, try 43.6 first and use it daily if its stable than let it (since you're running 4 dimms these settings must be set for stability), then save and exit.

Optional: disable CSM, enable Above 4G Decoding and Resizable bar option (these 2 options wont be available unless CSM is disabled). If gpu supports, why not XD

• if successful, boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver (should be ver 4.08.xx as the time i write this), then reboot.

• Install the latest nvidia driver, reboot, and then connect to internet.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow

• And check windows update if there is any and install them (except optional update).

• Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
    unknown.png

Reactions: BovineMasterRace

BovineMasterRace

Honorable
Jun 25, 2016
follow this step by step in order (read till end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall every gpu driver and using DDU (clean and do not restart, also tick all option in Nvidia option in the ddu settings).
  • Uninstall all the processors (is a must, should be 24 on yours since it's 24 threads, also when it asks for restart, click on no and keep uninstalling all processors) on device manager like this:
    unknown.png

• Uninstall AMD Chipset Software in control panel (if there is none, skip it.)

• reboot the PC to bios, disable AMD fTPM and secure boot (if enabled by default), save and exit, go to bios again, flash to the latest bios (do it again if you're currently using the latest bios) ver 7C37vAI the one with agesa 1.2.0.7, go to bios after finished updating, then load default or optimized settings, enable fastest xmp profile, go to advanced dram timing settings and set them to these: RttNom to 7, RttWr to 3, RttPark to 1, ProcODT to 43.6 or 48, try 43.6 first and use it daily if its stable than let it (since you're running 4 dimms these settings must be set for stability), then save and exit.

Optional: disable CSM, enable Above 4G Decoding and Resizable bar option (these 2 options wont be available unless CSM is disabled). If gpu supports, why not XD

• if successful, boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver (should be ver 4.08.xx as the time i write this), then reboot.

• Install the latest nvidia driver, reboot, and then connect to internet.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow

• And check windows update if there is any and install them (except optional update).

• Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
    unknown.png
So far I've gotten to the advanced DRAM settings but the options I have are like 120 ohms, 240 ohms, that sort of thing. What do you mean by the 7, 3, 1?

So far I've gotten to the advanced DRAM settings but the options I have are like 120 ohms, 240 ohms, that sort of thing. What do you mean by the 7, 3, 1?
its the Rtt timings, some motherboard only inputs number instead of ohms, and the standard value on amd board is RZQ = 240 ohm

so if your board could only input/select ohms value, then use RZQ (which is 240) divided by the number, for example i said RTTWR set to 3, which means 240/3, so insert 80, and so on.