Question PC suddenly stopped working

Jun 19, 2019
My PC first started randomly disabling my 3.0 USB that my keyboard and mouse were plugged into and my ethernet port and the only fix was to restart the PC each time. This got more common and then suddenly wouldn't load on restart. The power button is usually a stead white circle but now it randomly blinks or turns off while the PC is on and everything is lighting up but my monitors are not picking anything up so don't display. I tried several times to restart my PC and sometimes it will load but the USB 3.0 and Ethernet never work now. Im thinking it may be a problem with my motherboard but I have no idea, it just started this morning and over 4 hours just steadily got worse.

PC Specs:
ASRock 970 EXTREME4
FX-8350
GTX 1060 6GB
EVGA 500 W 80+ Bronze
G.Skill Ripjaw series 8G

Last edited:
Hi, how old is your PSU? It could be failing.
I'd suggest that you make sure everything is plugged in properly. This includes RAM, CPU, and all of the data and power connectors. If this doesn't work, if you have multiple sticks of RAM, try each stick individually in each individual RAM slot, and if you have only one RAM stick then try it in each individual RAM slot.
You should update the BIOS to its newest version if you haven't done already. Also, you should download USB drivers for your motherboard.
If you still haven't found the cause, go into the BIOS and find where you can monitor how many volts you are getting on each rail (12v, 5v etc). If any of these are really far off what they should be, this suggests a new power supply is needed. Also, you should run Memtest86 (free program) to test RAM more comprehensively than changing slots.
If all fails, go into the BIOS and set everything to failsafe defaults, then change what you absolutely have to, making sure to leave USB options on those defaults. You could also check for bad capacitors and any other physical damage at this point.