[SOLVED] PC Suddenly Turned Off - Some parts work, no display.

May 26, 2021
A few days ago, I was gaming on my PC when it just turned off abruptly. Before it turned off, I saw no signals that something was wrong. There weren't any weird noises and the temperature seemed to be the same as usual.

When I attempt to turn it back on, the power supply turns on (at least the fan is spinning), and so do the fans of the GPU. The LEDs on the motherboard also turn on and it seems as if the computer was supposed to be working. However, the fans on my cooler and also my side fans do not spin and show no sign of turning on. Additionally, I get no image and it seems as if the computer is on, but not on if that makes sense. I should also add that I'm not much of a computer hardware guy and this computer is approximately 6-7 years old.

A few hours after it turned off the first time, I was able to turn it on. After a brief update, it actually turned on and I was able to use it as usual. After about an hour and a half, it turned off again and I haven't been able to turn it on since. Again, what doesn't turn on are the side fans and the CPU cooler. The power supply, GPU, and motherboard seem to turn on just fine.

SPECS:
GPU: GTX 970
Power Supply: Corsair CX Series 750 Watt
Motherboard: MSI ATX DDR3 2600 LGA 1150 Motherboards Z97 Gaming 7
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K Processor
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800)

WHAT I TRIED:
  • I have cleaned the PC for any dust.
  • Checked the connectivity of some wires and if all the components are in the slots correctly.

Any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks!!

Solution
Faulty PSU perhaps.. hard to be exactly sure.

Either that or it sounds like there is possibly some sort of fault with power delivery to the board.

The GPU would be powered off it's own connector from the PSU, and not from the PCI slot.

Given that you mention the fans on the PSU are making a strange noise, i'd suspect that's the culprit here.

I don't suppose you have a spare PSU you can use to test it with?
A few days ago, I was gaming on my PC when it just turned off abruptly. Before it turned off, I saw no signals that something was wrong. There weren't any weird noises and the temperature seemed to be the same as usual.

When I attempt to turn it back on, the power supply turns on (at least the fan is spinning), and so do the fans of the GPU. The LEDs on the motherboard also turn on and it seems as if the computer was supposed to be working. However, the fans on my cooler and also my side fans do not spin and show no sign of turning on. Additionally, I get no image and it seems as if the computer is on, but not on if that makes sense. I should also add that I'm not much of a computer hardware guy and this computer is approximately 6-7 years old.

A few hours after it turned off the first time, I was able to turn it on. After a brief update, it actually turned on and I was able to use it as usual. After about an hour and a half, it turned off again and I haven't been able to turn it on since. Again, what doesn't turn on are the side fans and the CPU cooler. The power supply, GPU, and motherboard seem to turn on just fine.

SPECS:

WHAT I TRIED:
  • Checked the connectivity of some wires and if all the components are in the slots correctly.

Try pulling the lithium battery from the mobo with the PSU unplugged and hold the power button for 30s x2 then reseat everything

May 26, 2021

When I attempt to turn it back on, the power supply turns on (at least the fan is spinning), but there is a really loud and uncharacteristic noise coming out of the fans, i presume. The fans on the GPU also work. The LEDs on the motherboard also turn on and it seems as if the computer was supposed to be working. However, the fans on my cooler and also my side fans do not spin and show no sign of turning on. Additionally, I get no image and it seems as if the computer is on, but not on if that makes sense. I should also add that I'm not much of a computer hardware guy and this computer is approximately 6-7 years old.

SPECS:

WHAT I TRIED:

May 26, 2021
Faulty PSU perhaps.. hard to be exactly sure.

Either that or it sounds like there is possibly some sort of fault with power delivery to the board.

The GPU would be powered off it's own connector from the PSU, and not from the PCI slot.

Given that you mention the fans on the PSU are making a strange noise, i'd suspect that's the culprit here.

I don't suppose you have a spare PSU you can use to test it with?

Solution

SPECS:

WHAT I TRIED:
Get a can of compressed air and give the psu a few shots of air from both directions.
When you cleaned the pc of dust did you get the heatsinks nice and clean....look close as they can get packed with dust.

TRENDING THREADS