Question PC suddenly turned off ?

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Hi guys,

Below are the specs.

Ryzen 5 3600x/MSI B450 Tomoawk Max/Gigabyte Windforce OC 1660ti/Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 3000 Mhz/CM MWE 550W/WD SN550 1 TB/Acer VG240YP

I was using the PC just as usual, suddenly it turned off and wouldn't turn on, after a few attempts, it turned back on, when I got to the desktop , it turned off again.

I initially, suspected the SMPS or Motherboard, then I tried removing the ram sticks and found it turned on with the 2nd stick in 4th slot.

Then, I tried the stick from 2nd slot on 4th, it wouldn't turn on again. I then tried the 2nd sick in 2nd slot, it worked. But after swapping them multiple times here's the situation. The ram stick which initially populated the 2nd slot works in slots 1,2 and 3, but not the 4th slot and the ram stick that populated the 4th slot is now not working on any slot. Whichever slot I put the second stick in the motherboard LED gets stuck in DRAM.

Here's my question: Is the 2nd ram stick alone dead or there is an issue with the slots on the board as well because I am not sure if a single ram stick just on 4th slot should work.

Hi guys,

Below are the specs.

Ryzen 5 3600x/MSI B450 Tomoawk Max/Gigabyte Windforce OC 1660ti/Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 3000 Mhz/CM MWE 550W/WD SN550 1 TB/Acer VG240YP

I was using the PC just as usual, suddenly it turned off and wouldn't turn on, after a few attempts, it turned back on, when I got to the desktop , it turned off again.

I initially, suspected the SMPS or Motherboard, then I tried removing the ram sticks and found it turned on with the 2nd stick in 4th slot.

Then, I tried the stick from 2nd slot on 4th, it wouldn't turn on again. I then tried the 2nd sick in 2nd slot, it worked. But after swapping them multiple times here's the situation. The ram stick which initially populated the 2nd slot works in slots 1,2 and 3, but not the 4th slot and the ram stick that populated the 4th slot is now not working on any slot. Whichever slot I put the second stick in the motherboard LED gets stuck in DRAM.

Here's my question: Is the 2nd ram stick alone dead or there is an issue with the slots on the board as well because I am not sure if a single ram stick just on 4th slot should work.
Before doing anything else reset CMOS and then try each stick of memory again.

sorry, this was done already, I even got a message saying cmos cleared. I am now running with 1 stick without xmp, I tried xmp as well on this stick and it worked.
From some of the indications and testing you've done it could be one DIMM is bad but I have more of an inclination to blame the CPU than that or the motherboard since that's a single point of failure that would explain everything. But to confidently eliminate either requires another known-good CPU to swap in - either that or another system with known-good memory and motherboard to move that CPU into.

Also, DIMM sockets really only go bad if physically damaged. It could be a failure to the memory VRM, especially if the motherboard has a separate VRM for each memory channel, but then indications would also be more consistent.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
From some of the indications and testing you've done it could be one DIMM is bad but I have more of an inclination to blame the CPU than that or the motherboard since that's a single point of failure that would explain everything. But to confidently eliminate either requires another known-good CPU to swap in - either that or another system with known-good memory and motherboard to move that CPU into.

Also, DIMM sockets really only go bad if physically damaged. It could be a failure to the memory VRM, especially if the motherboard has a separate VRM for each memory channel, but then indications would also be more consistent.

Hey, an update, I didn't really have the time to troubleshoot further the last week. now he 2nd slot also seems to have gone kaput. only the 1st slot is working on the board. rest three aren't working now. Unfourtunately I don't have any way to swap the parts and test with a good pc, but I can take it to a shop and test the ram in another pc for sure, but not likely a diff cpu on my board, so I am thinking checking the ram and then turning the board in for warranty, prob the ram as well if they don't work fine on another pc. What do you think?

Hey, an update, I didn't really have the time to troubleshoot further the last week. now he 2nd slot also seems to have gone kaput. only the 1st slot is working on the board. rest three aren't working now. Unfourtunately I don't have any way to swap the parts and test with a good pc, but I can take it to a shop and test the ram in another pc for sure, but not likely a diff cpu on my board, so I am thinking checking the ram and then turning the board in for warranty, prob the ram as well if they don't work fine on another pc. What do you think?
So what's making you rule out the CPU?

Frankly, the board is a bit of an anvil when it comes to memory. That's because like an anvil there's just not much to it: just traces in the PWB and the sockets. If it worked properly at the start it should continue to work forever unless you physically abuse the sockets (CPU and DIMM) and their contacts. There is also the VRM for memory but DDR4 is so efficient I doubt it could stress that circuit very much unless you've overclocked memory heavily and with very high voltage.

That all makes it far more likely to be the CPU. And the fact that it's degrading further suggests the CPU's memory controller is slowly failing to oblivion.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014

Frankly, the board is a bit of an anvil when it comes to memory. That's because like an anvil there's just not much to it: just traces in the PWB and the sockets. If it worked properly at the start it should continue to work forever unless you physically abuse the sockets (CPU and DIMM) and their contacts. There is also the VRM for memory but DDR4 is so efficient I doubt it could stress that circuit very much unless you've overclocked memory heavily and with very high voltage.

That all makes it far more likely to be the CPU. And the fact that it's degrading further suggests the CPU's memory controller is slowly failing to oblivion.

I was not ruling out the cpu, I just did not have a way to test it, anyway I've just raised an RMA request with AMD, only have 8 days left on my warranty there and 3 weeks on the board.

Not sure if this matters, the board did exhibit somewhat similar problems last year and I had to send to MSI and get it fixed.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014

Turns out you were right on the money. I RMA'd both the board and the CPU. Got a replacement cpu from AMD and the board was tested OK and sent back to me. I've rebuilt the PC and it seems to be working fine.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Sorry to bump this, turns out there is still some issue with my pc. This morning the PC suddenly turned off while it just had a browser window open. I remember it behaved similarly a while back before the previous processor failed. I had to unplug the surge protector and UPS plugs and turn the smps on and off multiple times to get the pc to turn on again.

I am afraid it is happening again, if so, what could be causing it? the motherboard was tested OK and sent back to me, got a new CPU from AMD through RMA.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Could it be the SMPS, or is the processor going bad again?

One curious thing it that I turned the PC back on successfully around 7 30 PM here, and it automatically turned only 5 10 minutes before tha I think, but event viewer's saying the last shutdown at 6 55 PM was unexpected, I am pretty sure the PC was on at that time.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
It just turned off again. I removed the power cable put it back in and the pc turned back on but before loading windows it turned off again, I have unplugged it for the time being, I am worried if doing it again would damage the cpu or the board if the smps is indeed the problem.

What are the chances of that happening and what should I do now.