Question PC suddenly turning off while gaming ?

XLAAX

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2014
Hey,

So I've noticed since the past few days, my PC is suddenly turning off after playing fortnite for a little while. In a strange state too, all the fans and etc. stop inside the case and no signal display, but the power light around the power button stays on, pressing it again starts the booting sequence however.
Weirdly, I at least haven't seen the issue playing other games, and I did look into CPU OCing after this doing multiple stress tests for hours, and even with that I haven't seen my PC turn off, crashed windows at best.
Anyway, since then I've tried multiple things.. setting CPU back to stock settings, still crashed. Performed a RAM test, no issues. Performed a bunch of stress tests like Cinebench, OCCT, Prime95, no issues. Repair install for Windows 10.
I should mention while playing Fortnite, I haven't seen the CPU/GPU get over 80 degrees C, so not sure it's an overheating issue at least where they're concerned.
Only thing I'm wondering now is whether it's a PSU issue, but no real idea how to investigate that. Though it's a 1000W supply and my CPU/GPU were barely reaching 500W during Fortnite, but that is just a theory at this point.

Specs:
AMD Ryzen 5950x
H115i Platinum AIO
MSI 3090 Gaming X Trio
G.Skill 32GB (2x16) RAM
Corsair RM1000X PSU
X570 Aorus Master Motherboard
Coolermaster H500M case
Sabrent Rocket 2TB SSD PCIe 4.0 NVME SSD (Windows installation here)
2x Crucial 2TB MX500
1 3TB HDD

Would really appreciate any suggestions, info or advice here.

Thanks

Last edited:

XLAAX

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2014
As another update, took out PSU, made sure everything was connected, and also plugged it into the wall instead of extension lead as usual, same sudden shutdown during a power stress test on OCCT. I've ordered another PSU to test tomorrow and I'll update if it is.
Is there anything else I can do to try and diagnose it? I had HWINFO open and saving logs, but dont see anything of it reaching a certain high point as the last entry. Would be interested to know what is actually causing it to shutdown.

XLAAX

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2014
As another update. I've also ran Karhu RAM Test and it found an error after 47mins, so potentially a RAM issue?
I don't see any logs as such, but going to get more RAM and see if it passes fine with that

XLAAX

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2014
New update. Put RAM from another PC into my current one. Ran an OCCT memory test. No issue. Ran a OCCT power test, fine, Ran another power test, half way through shut down.
Not sure what to do now. I received the other PSU today, but not sure I want to unbox it and set it up if it isn't really the problem.

b4zz4

Commendable
Jan 13, 2019
I've also attached HWINFO logs created while the OCCT test was running and one while Fortnite was running:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cr1ca95evzogyv4/PCLogFN.CSV?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mao40u5055gizry/TempOCCT.CSV?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j21diy1vbp0hmzg/OCCTTemp2.CSV?dl=0

If anyone can see anything concerning about the logs, I'd appreciate the info
Hey mate, I seem to be having a very similar problem to you. my post: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/pc-turning-off-while-im-gaming.3729730/

I've also ruled out PSU and had a very minor fail on one of my ram sticks, however still had crashing when running on a stick that repeatedly reported healthy results. The other stick failed on memtest86 #10, "bitfade". I am heavily leaning towards this being a motherboard issue but am having no luck diagnosing any further. Wondering if you have made any progress towards this, maybe we could help each other.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Forget occt, it's about useless. Run msi Afterburner while playing fortnite and look at the power target number, and All gpu temps available. Just because the gpu itself is only reaching 80, doesn't mean the VRM's or vram arent goin nuts.

The bitfade test is where a pattern is loaded into the full ram, left to sleep for a while, then checked to see if any of the pattern has changed. That in itself can cause abnormalities, artifacts etc possibly even a freeze, but highly doubtful an instant shutdown.

If protective circuits were tripped on the psu, you'd need to pull the plug to reset them, not a button push. When you push the button, does it load up like after a normal windows shutdown? Or is it more like a restart where it takes longer because windows is loading fresh drivers?

Have you checked windows event viewer?

TRENDING THREADS