Jun 1, 2020
  • ASUS Prime B350-Plus Motherboard
  • AMD Ryzen 7 1700
  • 16GB (2x8) Team Group 2400MHz DDR4 Memory
  • Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze Power Supply
  • Gigabyte GTX 1080
  • Windows 10 Professional
  • All stock. Never been overclocked.
This has been happening for a few weeks now and I'm completely baffled as to why. Computer is just over three years old (built soon after the release of Ryzen).
Screen will suddenly go blank, fans will spin to 100%, all disk activity stops, any USB peripherals with lights look like they're no longer receiving power and the system sits like a vegetable with the only course of action being a power cycle. On boot, Windows has absolutely no recollection of an incident ever happening in the event viewer.

This happens almost exclusively when Rendering Video. Gaming is fine (although I have had some sudden split-second pauses even in games as old as Portal 2).

At first I thought it was the PSU, but the 3.3, 5 and 12 all look within tolerance according to the UEFI. However it IS only a Bronze and three years old at the point (if not older, I forget if it used to be in an older system). Though I'm also suspecting it might be the Motherboard giving up. VRM issue, maybe? I can render a video and it'll work without question. Last night I had a project quit three hours into the render, but I've also had an instance where it quit 10 minutes into a render. Using Shutter Encoder to convert any clip to Apple ProRes is the only time I've been able to reliably make the system halt, but the crash is so sudden I can't take a reading from something like HW Monitor.

Motherboard firmware is on it's latest revision. I've ran disk check on all three of my SSDs and they've come out clean. Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool also found nothing wrong.

Any ideas? I'm only a hobbyist when it comes to videography; my actual job is as a software engineer and I really can't be having system issues at this point in time, what with the whole working from home thing.

Thank you :)

Solution
I am not the greatest in these problems.
But that power supply is not great either honestly, had it before and I had to replace it twice and the 2nd time it killed my GPU.
From what I read from your problem it seems like a power supply issue if I am honest, other people might have different opinions but that's what I think about it.

EDIT:
If you have a different motherboard try it with the same power supply if possible, and see if the problem happens again.
If yes, then the power supply is broken, if not then that motherboard is broken.

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
I am not the greatest in these problems.
But that power supply is not great either honestly, had it before and I had to replace it twice and the 2nd time it killed my GPU.
From what I read from your problem it seems like a power supply issue if I am honest, other people might have different opinions but that's what I think about it.

EDIT:
If you have a different motherboard try it with the same power supply if possible, and see if the problem happens again.
If yes, then the power supply is broken, if not then that motherboard is broken.

Reactions: benanderson89
Solution
I would agree with above, the PSU most likely the culprit. It is not a good Corsair build and at very worst you change it and it's not the problem you have sorted a very weak link in your system and will most likely avoid further problems down the line.

The feeling of a VRM issue most likely comes from them not getting the stable power platform needed from the PSU.....

Cheers

Reactions: benanderson89
Jun 1, 2020
Any recommendations for a PSU? I tried a Rosewill Capstone 1000M and I had to return it a mere hour after I got it because it made the loudest electrical crunching noises and planet earth. You could even hear them over my monitor speakers at full volume. DEEPLY concerning (shame as well, because reviews paint it as being very good).

I'll definitely want a gold rated PSU this time around. 1kW is probably overkill but overhead is nice.

Jun 1, 2020
Depending on where you live and the budget you are willing to spend for a power supply, then we could recommend a power supply for you.
Oh, brilliant! Thank you.
UK. About £100 to £150 ideally. Though I could spring for slightly more if I whip out the CC.

EDIT: Found the recommended PSU page. I think I'll be going for the Seasonic SSR-750PX. That one seems to fit the bill nicely.

Every PSU in the world seems to be out of stock, so I've went for a Thermaltake GF1 750W. The 850 is reviewed on here and gets a good write up so I'm confident it'll do a good job. Only £109 from Scan so that's a bonus.

Last edited:
Reactions: Schlachtwolf
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS