PC Suddenly Very Slow After a Crash

ScratchFactor

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014
So, a few days ago, I woke up to find that my PC had crashed. Naturally, I reboot it, only to find out that my PC's performance speed was drastically slower upon starting up. By that I mean that opening programs takes forever, opening more than 2 tabs on any browser would freeze and crash the browser itself, stuff like that. Needless to say, it's pretty infuriating. My next instinct was to try system restore and check for viruses afterwards, but it was all to no avail. Does anyone know what may be causing this, and how to stop it?
Thanks.

smog0

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
check if you have any 'change' in your hardware like your system showing less ram or your hard drive failing to access some files
because slowdowns in regular use are normally because heavy usage of HD (A lot of Swap from RAM for example) or because said disk was damaged

I recommend running malwarebytes, never know if it's a nasty virus running havoc in your system.

EDIT -- Just noticed that you said you ran anti virus.

FURTHER EDIT -- Like smog0 said, I would check your CPU, RAM usage and core clocks to make sure that they are running at the speed they should be. Run chkdsk, maybe your HDD is on it's way out the door.

ScratchFactor

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014
My computer is in the process of checking the disk right now.
I got about 4 lines of text saying "File record segment XXXXXX unreadable," which I'm assuming isn't good.

Edit: Finish checking the disk, but it apparently didn't do anything to help.

TRENDING THREADS