[SOLVED] PC suddenly VERY slow

Feb 17, 2020
So, to make it short. Im not new to PC at all. I've built quite a few systems now and i consider myself pretty comfortable with the topic, but i cant figure this one out.

When I started my PC today the windows boot from my 970 evo plus felt very, very slow, but i didnt think much of it. I opened task manager, again, very slow. So i hit up mhw, when i played it i got around 30 fps, which was weird, because i had around 100-110 fps before that.
Im scanning my pc atm with malewarebytes, its at 10 mins currently, which is, again, very weird, because it took like 20 seconds in the past max. Do you guys know what might be the case here?
Im super new to forums in general, so if i forgot something important, please let me know. Thank you

Specs:
1080 OC Windforce
Ryzen 7 2700x
16 gigs HyperX Fury OC'd @ 2933 Mhz
Aorus Gaming Ultra x470
700w BeQuiet Straight Power 10

Last edited:
Solution
Whats weird is, that only having firefox open and installing Magician, my CPU usage is at 50% and my GPU usage is at 30-35%

It sounds like you might have picked up a bit coin bug or some other trojan...50% of a 2700x is a lot of processing power being used. I would disconnect from the internet completely and try running malewarebytes in offline mode.
Take a look in Device Manager and see if there are any asterisk showing up next to any hardware.

Reboot and then run Samsung Magician to test the SSD...under Drive Details you'll see SMART off to the right...run the long test. If SM won't let you run the SMART test then look for a 3rd party app to run it.

If the SSD tests with no errors then I would start looking at other possibilities like the PSU or possibly memory errors.

Reactions: Coughins
Feb 17, 2020
Thank you, i will run Samsung Magician right now. Whats weird is, that only having firefox open and installing Magician, my CPU usage is at 50% and my GPU usage is at 30-35%. Even the installation is taking minutes

Whats weird is, that only having firefox open and installing Magician, my CPU usage is at 50% and my GPU usage is at 30-35%

It sounds like you might have picked up a bit coin bug or some other trojan...50% of a 2700x is a lot of processing power being used. I would disconnect from the internet completely and try running malewarebytes in offline mode.

Solution
Feb 17, 2020
So, just to let everyone know. It wasnt something bad, seems like i just got some driver issues, but i couldnt figure out what drivers caused the problem. Rolling back windows didnt work, since it would just infinitely loop the rollback process. I just freshly reinstalled windows and its working perfectly again.

As to the bug/trojan: I dunno. I havent downloaded anything in the past few days and didnt visit any sketchy sites. Obviously, i cant say for sure, but it seems very, very unlikely that i caught something xD. Thank you so much for trying to help, though!

TRENDING THREADS