Question PC suddenly won’t boot or enter BIOS

Jan 23, 2022
I have a PC I built and it’s been running fine for 5 years now. Last night, I put my PC to sleep but it turned back on. Weird, but I was tired and did not think anything of it. I shut it down instead and went to bed. Before I fell asleep, I heard it turn itself on and I got up and the monitor was showing the classic ASUS “press del to enter bios” splash screen. Power cycled it and it would not boot into again Windows. The Boot Device troubleshooting LED is lit, and I tried to get into BIOS using delete key and it won’t even go into BIOS. I unplugged the PC and took out the CMOS battery and waited a few minutes, and then tried again with no improved result. I unplugged all SSDs and only put in one stick of RAM and nothing changed. Any ideas at next troubleshooting steps? I am going to get a wired keyboard from my work to eliminate that as a possibility, although I have never been unable to enter BIOS with my wireless keyboard ever before.

Mobo: ASUS Z170-e
CPU: 6600K (OC to 4.3, been stable that way since I first built it) with Arctic 120mm air cooler
GPU: Nitro 5700XT
RAM: 2x4GB and 2x8GB Vengance at the stock 3000MHz
PSU: Seasonic G series 650W
Storage: 1x500Gb main drive with Win10 and 1x1Tb for software

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2022
Nope. Haven’t really touched it since I last cleaned it out 6 months or so ago. I did take side panels off and made sure every cable was plugged properly and secured and they all were.

Jan 23, 2022
So all it does now is power cycles? If so try taking out the ram and see if it runs for longer, it should run for longer as far as I know.

Yeah now all it will do is turn on (all fans/lights come up), light up the boot device troubleshoot LED, and show the ASUS splash screen.

You mean remove all ram or all but one stick?