[SOLVED] PC suddenly wont boot, PSU Clicking

Apr 24, 2022
I just built a new PC, it works fine for 2 days. But Suddenly my pc goes off when idling and now it wont boot and all i hear is clicking noise from PSU

I've already tried to unplug all connection from motherboard to psu and reconnecting it one by one. all i got is this reaction

1. When only 24 pin motherboard connected the psu powered up but there still clicky
  2. When the cpu pin connected the psu only click and there is no power at all
I havent do the paperclip test since i afraid because i am not a tech guy. But im assuming either the psu is faulty, or my motherboard short circuited. but i dont really know which is which

My System
Motherboard : MSI PRO B660M-A WIFI DDR4
CPU: I5 12400f
PSU: BitFenix Whisper M 80 Plus Gold Full Modular 650W
GPU : Zotac RTX 3060 Twin Edge
Ram : CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3600 (PC4-28800) C18
SSD: 970 Evo plus 1 tb

Last edited:
Solution
Because of 1 paperclip test makes no sense as the PSU will pass it (and that means nothing).
IF PSU has second EPS cable you should try using it. Otherwise there is no much else to do but try another PSU. Whisper is solid model but even solid models sometimes fail after 2 days. Of course it can be motherboard too - specifically short at EPS header - but in case like this you always start with PSU first. Because if PSU is at fault you potentially risk frying second motherboard.
Because of 1 paperclip test makes no sense as the PSU will pass it (and that means nothing).
IF PSU has second EPS cable you should try using it. Otherwise there is no much else to do but try another PSU. Whisper is solid model but even solid models sometimes fail after 2 days. Of course it can be motherboard too - specifically short at EPS header - but in case like this you always start with PSU first. Because if PSU is at fault you potentially risk frying second motherboard.

Reactions: maryuusha
Solution
Apr 24, 2022

how do you test the psu? im sorry this is my first time to build pc, all i found is only paperclip test

IF PSU has second EPS cable you should try using it. Otherwise there is no much else to do but try another PSU.

will try it as soon i got the replacement cable, should i change the 24pin cable too?

how do you test the psu? im sorry this is my first time to build pc, all i found is only paperclip test
Typically using multimeter to see if you get proper voltages on all wires. Note however that it's also not 100% test as it only shows values under no load, but in your case it would be sufficient.
will try it as soon i got the replacement cable, should i change the 24pin cable too?
24 cable seems to work fine so probably no need to change it. Btw, EPS cable I meant if you have more then one (you did not say wattage of PSU and some of them do come with more then one cable). If you need to buy another cable it may be faster to go straight to next point (another PSU).

Reactions: maryuusha
Apr 24, 2022
Thanks, i already found the problem. Its the motherboard. I already tested new psu to the mobo and got the same problem. and i also tested the old psu to other system, and using multimeter like you suggest before, and the result is normal.

Reactions: DRagor