Question PC suddenly won't turn on (mobo, graphics card have light)

dhpii

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2015
Specs
ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming Motherboard
Intel i7-6700K 4.4 GHz
ASUS ROG Strix NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1080 8GB (driver just updated before issue)
Corsair 16 GB RAM
PSU Corsair RM750x
Case NZXT H440 Silent Ultra (blue)
Win10 64-bit (just updated before issue)
System build date: June 2016

Issue
PC suddenly won’t turn on. After the power had been disconnected for 30 days due to vacation, I powered up the PC without problems, ran Windows Update and updated to the latest Geforce WHQL game ready driver. The following day, the PC won’t start when I push the power button.
The light is on in the motherboard: SB_PWR LED and the Model name LED are both solid red (= ON).
The light in the graphics card are solid white (= ON).

Solutions Tried
CR2032 battery has been replaced.
Removed all RAM before turning on on the system.
Removed graphics card before turning on the system (tried also simultaneously with the latter).
All peripherals disconnected.
Removed case power button to turn on the button “directly”.
Unplugged and replugged PWR_SW and RESET cables to the motherboard.
Tried to jump-start the system connecting the PWR_SW pins with a screwdriver.

At this point I suspect the PSU has gone, although the proper LEDs in the motherboard/graphics card are solid on.

Lutfij

Titan
Since the processor you have has an iGPU, you should've gotten a POST and subsequent display off of your platform. You might want to source(borrow, not buy) a PSU from a friend or neighbor and see if you can get POST/display while on the iGPU. Your motherboard also has the option to flash the BIOS in the event that it was corrupted, look through your motherboard manual, page 2-3, section 2.1.3, see if that revives the system.

Last edited:

dhpii

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2015
Since the processor you have has an iGPU, you should've gotten a POST and subsequent display off of your platform. You might want to source(borrow, not buy) a PSU from a friend or neighbor and see if you can get POST/display while on the iGPU. Your motherboard also has the option to flash the BIOS in the event that it was corrupted, look through your motherboard manual, page 2-3, section 2.1.3, see if that revives the system.
I’ve know tried with another PSU (EVGA 650 G2) with its cables. Still, light in motherboard LEDs while PSU is on, but no POST either by pushing power button nor by jumpstarting. Could it be issue in CPU or motherboard?

Lutfij

Titan
If you think that the motherboard is at fault, a known working motherboard that can work with your CPU should reveal that aspect. If you think the CPU is at fault, the known working motherboard would reveal that as well.

We can't say without you trying...