PC switching between access points on a mesh network

oscar.payne03

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018
So I have a new WiFi system that is really good: the TP-Link Deco m5 whole home WiFi system. I attempted to play some games and it was unplayable. I asked the networking 'expert' of the house what was happening and he came to the conclusion that my PC was switching between access points rather than locking to one with the best connection. Is there any way to force my PC onto one access point? The QoS is a proprietary system for the Deco m5

Solution

Because a mesh system is supposed to be seen as "one" wifi network, there is probably no way to lock to a particular AP.

If switching is indeed the problem, that would mean your games might be playable at some times until it switched to an AP with a weaker signal. If you have continual...

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable

Because a mesh system is supposed to be seen as "one" wifi network, there is probably no way to lock to a particular AP.

If switching is indeed the problem, that would mean your games might be playable at some times until it switched to an AP with a weaker signal. If you have continual problems with gaming, then switching is probably not the issue. It could be that your PC doesn't have a good quality signal to the closest AP. You should be able to perform a series of speed and ping tests to determine the quality of your connection. If possible, also perform the tests when close to the main AP, and test with a wired connection as well.

Because of the inconsistencies with wireless, wifi is typically the worst method of connection for gaming. You should look into alternatives such as a wired connection (for the best quality) or powerline adapters.

Solution