Hello there,
last year I build a new PC with the following specs:
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2400
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME Z270-K
Graphics Card: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 Gaming OC
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K
Storage: SSD 960 EVO 500GB
Power Supply: 500 Watt be quiet! Straight Power 10 CM
I didnt play a lot of games with high specs since then, but recently I started OCing my system, in this case my Graphics card to get more performance out for some high spec game I started playing recently.
I used this tutorial: ASUS ROG Forum
There I first saw, what a graphics card like mine is supposed to be able to do: in the Unigine Valley Benchmark around 4000-4500 Points (this result being an OCed one). So I ran the test to see what my rig could do and I consistently only get around 1300 Points. Using OpenGL instead of DirectX11 gave me 2000 points 1 time, still way below expectations.
So I went to see where that problem was coming from and I did some other Benchmarks: in these cases UserBenchmark and PassMark, respectively: here the results that puzzle me:
Passmark:

UserBenchmark:

TimeSpy:

Unigine Valley:

So UserBenchmark says my CPU is performing subotimally, while in PassMark 2D-capabilities and Memory wreck my score, while in Unigine the only bottleneck that seems to be the culprit is the graphics card.
In the Passmark rating software you also see a baseline comparison chart comparing the system performance against similar setups: the result is speaking for itself, I reckon.
Also OpenCL does not work on my GPU, even when I clean install the latest NVidia drivers. The heat seams to be no problem in both cases, GPU never goes above 65 Celsius, and the CPU max temp was around 70 as well.
When I first OCed with the above mentioned OC-tutorial, in Unigine Valley benchmark my monitor went black for a second, then the benchmark went on with a way worse FPS count. So instead for all the other test I used the preinstalled OC setting, for some +150 MHz in Memory and +33 MHz in Core Clock, which didnt give me any issues.

Following steps I have tried and which didnt work:
Checking broken Windows DPC-Latency: Windows found some files and apparently fixed them, but it didnt increase performance.
Reinstalling GPU drivers
Updating BIOS from the Motherboard

When I did the benckmark with the high OC-settings again after the abovementioned fixes it gave me artifacts and crashed completely, when before it had the other issue described above.

Has anybody some clues what is going on with my setup? What could be the bottleneck slowing me down? Or is something more sinister going on?

Thanks in advance,
Kingofe

Your GTX1070 is already factory overclocked.
If the chip was capable of more, it would have been used in a higher performing card and sold for more.

I do not know the details about overclocking that card.
You may be able to get a bit more out of it, but do not count on it.

You will find that other users who publish their overclocking results will have very good chips.
Those with normal chips or dogs will not publish.

How is your gaming performance?
Have you overclocked your 7700K?
I might work on that first.
As of 6/9/17
What percent can get an overclock at a somewhat sane 1.4v Vcore.

I7-7700K
4.9 83%
5.0 62%
5.1 29%
5.2 6%

Feb 2, 2019

So, I played Max Payne 3, which runs like a bliss with ultra settings at 60 fps, while a game like Tyranny, which mostly consists of some isometric sprites only runs at 24fps, 30 at most.
I didnt overclock my CPU, since it automatically goes up to some 4.4/5-ish GHz when under load.
Its just that my system sucks at certain stuff and I dont know why.

A game will be limited typically by either cpu or gpu.
When you see a high clock on your stock processor, it is for a single thread, not all of them.
With overclocking, you can increase the processing speed for all cores if you wish.

Try a test. In windows power management, change the max cpu utilization from 100% to a lesser number like 80% and see how much of a difference that makes.
The converse is that a 20% boost from overclocking may make a difference in some games.

Fast action shooters will usually be limited by the graphics card.
sims, strategy and mmo types depend more on a fast processor.

If you are graphics limited, try reducing your graphics options.
Particularly antialiasing.

Feb 2, 2019

True. But in this case its not so much about high graphics settings game performance than that my computer is way below average baseline performance when I compare it to other similarly configured systems. And some tests say my CPU is way below baseline performance, while other tests indicate, that its my RAM or GPU. This inconsistent test results puzzle me. If all test would say: "okay, probably your GPUs busted" I could take action to replace or repair it.
But since I do not have any starting point where to look for the bottleneck I wanted to know if theres some good general or specific fixes I could try out to solve this problem.

The comparisons you are looking at are from those who have good processor and graphics chips that are highly overclocked.
That is not the norm.

Monitor your clock rates with cpu-Z to verify that you are getting your upper multiplier.

There is a setting in windows power management that sets an upper processor clock rate.
You might want to up that to 5000 to eliminate that as a possible restriction.

Feb 2, 2019

I looked at the power management settings in Windows and they were on energy saving mode, but there was no limit on the CPU clock rate or similar. I changed it to "balanced" anyway, and now everything works.
The other problem: The unigine valley benchmark was buggy, so it didnt use the full power of my rig, I used Heaven Benchmark instead and it works within expected parameters of my baseline performance now.
My hypothesis is, with upgrading from win7 to win10 there were some configurations in power saving mode still enabled, bottlenecking something somehow.
Thanks for the hint.

Feb 2, 2019

Didnt find it, but I had it too with some network LAN-stuff that they disabled or hid or replaced one dialog. When changing with the new parameters in Win10 it probably configured it the right way in Win10 manner.