Question PC take a lot of time to load apps

dimfotiadis04

Honorable
May 2, 2018
I have a problem with my pc. Sometimes (not always it takes a long time to load apps which otherwise would open in seconds. For example even chrome. This usually happens when to many apps are trying to load or a heavy one on its own (like a game for example). At first I thought there was some kind of bug in the software(corrupted files in windows). I did a format at but nothing the problem is still there. I thought there was something wrong with my boot disk so I replaced it with my second one but still the problem is here. So far what I have tried to fix this problem:
Format x4
Clear cmos
Bios update
Switch cpu
Switch gpu
Use one stick of ram(both of them)
Use my 2nd ssd as boot for windows
None of these solved the problem
My specs
Motherboard: Gigabyte b550m ds3h bios version: f17e
Cpu: amd ryzen 5 3600x
Gpu: Gigabyte gtx 1660ti
Ram: Patriot Viper Steel 16GB 3600 mhz ddr4
Psu: corsair 650 watt tx-m
1st ssd: m2 samsung 980 pro 250gb
2nd ssd: Kingston A400 ssd 240gb 2.5" SATA III
Hdd: western digital 1tb

it takes a long time to load apps
what do you consider, "a long time"?
usually happens when too many apps are trying to load or a heavy one
16GB system RAM has usually been enough over the last few years to keep decent data rates.
but more and more users are upgrading to >=32GB just for this reason you mention.

especially in larger games with larger in-game assets i experienced a noticeable increase in load times switching from a 2x 8GB kit to 2x 16GB.

dimfotiadis04

Honorable
May 2, 2018
what do you consider, "a long time"?

16GB system RAM has usually been enough over the last few years to keep decent data rates.
but more and more users are upgrading to >=32GB just for this reason you mention.

especially in larger games with larger in-game assets i experienced a noticeable increase in load times switching from a 2x 8GB kit to 2x 16GB.
On average it takes around 0.5 secs to open chrome, but when this problems occurs it can take over a minute to open and when that happens the whole systems becomes kinda unresponsive. What I mean by that. I mean that I can still move the mouse but none other apps instead of file explorer can open.

this happens even on light games like league of legends.
you will notice that i stated, "especially".
though it is still noticeable in many circumstances like browsing with multiple tabs open, having multiple applications running even when not sharing the desktop, during compression/decompression, etc...

it is just more noticeable in situations when much more data is being processed.
when that happens the whole systems becomes kinda unresponsive. What I mean by that. I mean that I can still move the mouse but none other apps instead of file explorer can open.
this would lead me even more towards memory as the issue.

if it were a simple problem with these certain applications or some disk data rate problem then only the single application(s) or everything on that certain disk would be affected.

possibly being memory then everything running would be affected by similar issues like you explain.

dimfotiadis04

Honorable
May 2, 2018
The problem is that this happens even on light games like league of legends.
you will notice that i stated, "especially".
though it is still noticeable in many circumstances like browsing with multiple tabs open, having multiple applications running even when not sharing the desktop, during compression/decompression, etc...

it is just more noticeable in situations when much more data is being processed.

this would lead me even more towards memory as the issue.

if it were a simple problem with these certain applications or some disk data rate problem then only the single application(s) or everything on that certain disk would be affected.

possibly being memory then everything running would be affected by similar issues like you explain.
Is there any test I can run to test if the ram is in good condition or in bad condition?

Mar 18, 2023
I have a problem with my pc. Sometimes (not always it takes a long time to load apps which otherwise would open in seconds. For example even chrome. This usually happens when to many apps are trying to load or a heavy one on its own (like a game for example). At first I thought there was some kind of bug in the software(corrupted files in windows). I did a format at but nothing the problem is still there. I thought there was something wrong with my boot disk so I replaced it with my second one but still the problem is here. So far what I have tried to fix this problem:
Format x4
Clear cmos
Bios update
Switch cpu
Switch gpu
Use one stick of ram(both of them)
Use my 2nd ssd as boot for windows
None of these solved the problem
My specs
Motherboard: Gigabyte b550m ds3h bios version: f17e
Cpu: amd ryzen 5 3600x
Gpu: Gigabyte gtx 1660ti
Ram: Patriot Viper Steel 16GB 3600 mhz ddr4
Psu: corsair 650 watt tx-m
1st ssd: m2 samsung 980 pro 250gb
2nd ssd: Kingston A400 ssd 240gb 2.5" SATA III
Hdd: western digital 1tb
I think I have the same problem as you. Is this happening randomly on boot, and the programs will take forever to load on the same boot until it "fixes" itself on a restart? Are you using Windows 11 by any chance?