[SOLVED] PC takes 15 seconds to turn on before booting, is it normal? w/ video

May 8, 2020
When I turn on the power button to my pc it takes 15 seconds for my pc to turn on and start booting. Any ideas what the problem could be?
Fan lights up then the motherboard then the fan starts spinning and after that it takes about 5 seconds for the screen to turn on and start booting.

Link to pc booting:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgns0VfsbS4&feature=emb_title

Specs:
Motherboard: b450m steel legend
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600x
GPU: XFX Thicc 2 5700 xt
RAM: trident g skill 2x8GB
PSU: EVGA 600 br
Hardrive: Samsung evo m.2

Last edited:
Solution
It's Ryzen, most like it's delay for RAM training, did you enable XMP profile ? If so, try to disable it to see if it helps, if so try to enter values from XMP profile manually, with the help of Ryzen Calculator perhaps.

kanewolf

Titan
When I turn on the power button to my pc it takes 15 seconds for my pc to turn on and start booting. Any ideas what the problem could be?
Fan lights up then the motherboard then the fan starts spinning and after that it takes about 5 seconds for the screen to turn on and start booting.

Link to pc booting:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgns0VfsbS4&feature=emb_title

Specs:
Motherboard: b450m steel legend
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600x
GPU: XFX Thicc 2 5700 xt
RAM: trident g skill 2x8GB
PSU: EVGA 600 br
Those times all seem reasonable to me.

mangaman

Honorable
It takes my PC 5 seconds to show the BIOS screen after pressing the power button, and another 5 seconds to show my login screen. Since I use an SSD, it takes little to no time for the OS to load up.

Each PC is different since there are millions of different combinations of both parts and software. So around 15 seconds is quite normal.

May 8, 2020
It takes my PC 5 seconds to show the BIOS screen after pressing the power button, and another 5 seconds to show my login screen. Since I use an SSD, it takes little to no time for the OS to load up.

Each PC is different since there are millions of different combinations of both parts and software. So around 15 seconds is quite normal.
I use an Samsung evo m.2. Its just weird for my my old pc had a nvidia card in it and it didnt take this long to get to the bios screen.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
It's Ryzen, most like it's delay for RAM training, did you enable XMP profile ? If so, try to disable it to see if it helps, if so try to enter values from XMP profile manually, with the help of Ryzen Calculator perhaps.

Solution

Exactly right. Thus my question.

It shouldn't have to do that every time you soft off as those profiles are maintained as long as their's +5VSB. That's part of why it takes 10x longer to cold boot a PC that's been unplugged vs. soft off/on.

May 8, 2020
Then that is the problem.

XMS profiles, etc. are stored in the BIOS, which is powered by the +5VSB. If you kill the power to the PSU (turn it off) there is no +5VSB and therefore every power up of the PC is like a new configuration.

Why are you cutting the power to your power supply every time to shut down?
I shut the computer down that is all, I dont keep it in hibernation or sleep.

I shut the computer down that is all, I dont keep it in hibernation or sleep.

Ok. Then maybe you misunderstood my question.

When you're in Windows, and you go "START" and then "SHUT DOWN" and the monitor turns off, the PC is in "STANDBY". It's not "off". The memory and BIOS are still getting power from the PSU.

What I was asking is if you go one more step after that and physically cut the power to the PC. By either flipping the switch on the PSU or via a power strip or walll switch, etc.

May 8, 2020
Ok. Then maybe you misunderstood my question.

When you're in Windows, and you go "START" and then "SHUT DOWN" and the monitor turns off, the PC is in "STANDBY". It's not "off". The memory and BIOS are still getting power from the PSU.

What I was asking is if you go one more step after that and physically cut the power to the PC. By either flipping the switch on the PSU or via a power strip or walll switch, etc.

I do not turn off the power.