PC takes ages to boot after new GTX 770 (Stuck on BIOS)

danscott

Honorable
Apr 28, 2013
My PC used to boot up in a few seconds but after putting in a Palit GTX 770 it takes about 3 to 4 minutes. It just stays on a screen saying MEDION with the option to open the bios screen but when I press the key to open the bios nothing happens. After several binary beeps it does boot up. I think it might be to do with my motherboard. Is there any way to fix this. It boots up fine when my old gtx 550ti is in the PC.

Specs:
RAM :8GB DDR3 RAM
GPU : Palit GTX 770 4GB VRAM
Processor: I5 3450
Motherboard: MS 7728

Thanks!

Solution
Hey,

There are some solutions:

1- (this one is what it did): Buy an other motherboard that supports the new GPU.
OR
2- Wait for Medion's new drivers for the GTX 770 etc. (i think this takes very long or the update won't be released ;( )

I bought the ASRock Fatal1ty Z77 Professional-M, socket 1155 (it matched my other hardware components) and this works really good for me!

This is also why people build their pc's. Complete-PC's are not future proof.

I hope this is the best solution :)

danscott

Honorable
Apr 28, 2013

Hi there, thanks for your help
There is 4 beeps all the same length (short)
the first is a couple of seconds after powering on, the 2nd is like 30 seconds later while on the MEDION screen, the 3rd is about a minute after that on the same screen and the 4th is on a strange screen with
" y <>" then a flickering cusrsor

Nightspeed1

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014

Hey,
I have the same problem too. I found out why, my medion motherboard does have gtx bios driver updates but not for the GTX 770 :(
That's why mine had that slow boot up.
So I think you might need to buy a new motherboard (If your medion motherboard doesn't have gtx 770 driver updates) but you should ask Medion first.

serge375

Reputable
Apr 2, 2014

Hi, I've got the same problem with the beeps and the weird y <> screen, But I replaced my GTX 550 Ti with an EVGA GTX 750 Ti SC. Is there already a solution to the problem???

Nightspeed1

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Hey,

There are some solutions:

1- (this one is what it did): Buy an other motherboard that supports the new GPU.
OR
2- Wait for Medion's new drivers for the GTX 770 etc. (i think this takes very long or the update won't be released ;( )

I bought the ASRock Fatal1ty Z77 Professional-M, socket 1155 (it matched my other hardware components) and this works really good for me!

This is also why people build their pc's. Complete-PC's are not future proof.

I hope this is the best solution :)

Solution

serge375

Reputable
Apr 2, 2014

Well I think I'll just use this motherboard, the beeps don't harm the PC do they? I only have to wait like 2 minutes before it boots into Windows 8.1 64-Bit now ( had Windows 7 OEM installed ). My bios on my ms 7728 v2 is American Megatrends Inc. E7728MLN.30E, 19-3-2012 but I can't find an update :/.

catthing

Reputable
Aug 15, 2014
Hi all,
I have got the same problem, First i got a Geforce gtx 650 ti Graphics card,removed drivers from old card and installed the new card, Started pc and had to wait ages for it to boot up.
The card seemed to work ok but restarting the pc and trying to enter the bios no longer worked and if i tried the pc locks up.
I returned the card and got a Gtx 750 ti as a replacement with exactly the same result!
So now i know its not the card, next i reluctantly reflashed my Bios on my msi Z68a-g43(g3) Motherboard to the latest Bios, as i read somewhere that it would work, Nope.
The next thing im going to try is to install Windows 7 ultimate 64b to a spare Hdd, im trying this to rule out the possibilty that running the pc in AHCI instead of IDE mode could be causing this.
I should say that at the moment Win7 is on a Agility 3 ssd drive.

Im just going to eat then i will start the install, in the mean time if anyone has any ideas let me know, i will get back to you after the install of os.

Oh one more thing, my pc runs fine with my Geforce 9800Gtx card.

Nightspeed1

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014

Maby it's because your gpu isn't on you motherboard's suported gpu list? I'm not sure

catthing

Reputable
Aug 15, 2014
Yeah, im starting to think the same thing, if its not i will just have to put up with the long start up time and use one click bios in windows,
still im not giving up quite yet.

Nightspeed1

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014

Good luck

catthing

Reputable
Aug 15, 2014
Ok, it turns out that the update i did to the bios was for an older one, I have just flashed my Bios for the second time today(im a bag of nerves).
Im pleased to say that it sorted the problem right out.