Question PC takes long time to shut down?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1042570
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1042570

Hi,

Note sure if this is the right place for this question but for whatever reason my custom PC takes a long time to shut down and restart and I'm trying to figure out if its a Windows, software, or hardware issue.

Essentially when I shut down my system I get the windows shutting down screen, I think I hear my HDD's spinning down and my screen goes black however my PC actually stays running for around a minute or so before actually shutting down.

Similarly when restarting I get the restarting screen, screen goes black and hangs for up to a minute before my system reboots

Any ideas on where the issue could stem from? I can't exactly pinpoint when this issue began but its been a long time for sure

Specs:

Intel i7-4790k
Asus Z97 pro gamer motherboard
Gigabyte 1080ti
HyperX FURY 1600MHz DDR3
Samsung 120gb SSD (OS drive)
Samsung 500gb SSD
FireCuda 2tb SSHD
WD Blue 1tb HDD

Thanks

Try see if there are entries in the windows logs (that clearly stands out) that correspond with the time of each shutdown.

Most probably a software issue, something you have installed (or some rootkit/malware that so often hips along with software these days) that takes windows forever to kill.

Are there other issues with that computer? How does it perform otherwise?

Reactions: martinch
D

Deleted member 1042570

Hi,

Taking a look through my event logs the only possible issues I can spot are the following

The first gets reported every hour or so: The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device ACPI\PNP0A0A\2&daba3ff&0

I've done some googling and people are talking about the motherboard chipset drivers clashing with a windows update so I will attempt to reinstall those

The other issue is reported as the system shuts down and appears to correspond with the sound of the hard drives spinning down before the computer shuts down: Disk 4 has been surprise removed
Not sure if it would have an impact on the shutdown process?

Otherwise the system performs flawlessly. Startup is fine, idling and general use/gaming I have no issue with

D

Deleted member 1042570

Did that work out ?

After reinstalling all the drivers and trying restarting a few times there doesn't seem to be any difference

Interestingly, I disconnected all but my OS drive and tried shutting down and restarting and still get the system hang before it shuts down

D

Deleted member 1042570

A very very rough estimate would be maybe around a year ago? When it first started happening I barely took notice of it

If memory serves I believe it may have started after I performed a Windows reset but I may be wrong on that as it was so long ago

The hardware hasn't changed at all in close to two years now so the only changes have been software

I also tried resetting my bios today but that also had no effect

The only other possible fix I see is to perform a Windows reset again however that may just be more of a hassle than it's worth, eg having to reinstall my programs etc

So we still doesn't know if this is hardware or software related.

You can always try to boot up using a Linux live iso image on a usb drive. Try to boot to it's desktop and then make it power off. Take notice if it use more or less time than windows. Most major Linux distro will do, like Mint, Ubuntu, etc.

NB: Avoid using a very slow usb drive, because that alone may get the live desktop to respond slow, included powering off.

D

Deleted member 1042570

So we still doesn't know if this is hardware or software related.

You can always try to boot up using a Linux live iso image on a usb drive. Try to boot to it's desktop and then make it power off. Take notice if it use more or less time than windows. Most major Linux distro will do, like Mint, Ubuntu, etc.

NB: Avoid using a very slow usb drive, because that alone may get the live desktop to respond slow, included powering off.

Sounds like a plan, I'll give it a go tomorrow and see how we get on

D

Deleted member 1042570

Ok update on the situation, I have tried running Ubuntu loaded onto a USB plugged into one of my usb 3 ports and it took close to two minutes to shut down on that but I did get some errors which I took pictures of

However the much more interesting development is I tried booting windows in safe mode and restarting on that is near instant, which leads me to believe there is either a service or driver that may be the root of the issue

D

Deleted member 1042570

And I tried Ubuntu again and this time the shutdown was near instant again so fingers are pointing at something in windows

D

Deleted member 1042570

Yea I think I'm just gonna bite the bullet and try a fresh install of windows and see where that gets me

D

Deleted member 1042570

Ok to further add to the mystery

Last night I made a USB with the latest Windows Media Creation tool and did a completely fresh install of windows and finally the PC shut down in about 10 seconds. I tried this a few times and every time, fast startup, fast shutdown.

I kept the PC offline while getting everything installed to minimize Windows installing some random drivers I didn't want. I started with the drivers and software for my GPU and motherboard, restarting after each was installed. And it was all going fine.

Next, I installed a few of the gaming platforms, at the moment only Steam and Bnet. Again restarting after each was installed and it was still shutting down fine.

Now at this point, I did a few things that in hindsight it may have been better to do as separate events to help with troubleshooting. I sorted out my audio devices, disabling some unneeded ones, and setting my defaults and I also installed Corsair Link for my watercooler. I don't think I installed or changed anything else

I believe I may have restarted after this as part of the link installation process. And after restarting and booting up I went into Link and took a look at my profiles, there are only 3 to choose from, Performance, Balanced and Quiet. I set up some fan curves and that was about it as far as I can tell.

And at this point when I went to shut down, the weird delayed shut down was back!

Later today I'll take a look at my event logs and see if I can figure out anything from there but this has left me scratching my head as before the reset I did try uninstalling Corsair Link and shutting down without it open which didn't affect anything

D

Deleted member 1042570

Yep so I can confirm its something to do with the Corsair Link Software

I disabled that at startup and now PC shuts down nice and fast. So something either in the software or in the profiles are causing the issue

Don't suppose you could recommend any software that would allow me to control my pump and fan speeds?