PC takes numerous attemps to boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

assault1212

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
Hi guys. just a newbie here in tomshardware. just askin, my computer is being weird lately.

if i do a cold boot. sometimes it runs/boots in one shot (fans spinning and lights) and sometimes it runs but it has no display (blinking power button on my monitor) if this happens, i repeatedly press the power button to turn the pc on multiple times until i get to the bios screen.

i had replaced my power supply lately because i have been browsing threads that relate to this and said that the power supply may be the culprit. (upgraded from 500w to 600w)

what do i do? what hardware is responsible to the problem? how can i fix it?

PC Specs:
Processor: i3 2120 @3.30Ghz
RAM: EVM 4GB DDR3 1333 i think.
GPU: Nvidia gt630 2GB
Power Supply: Trendsonic 600w PSU
MOBO: ECS H61H2 - M2

Ralston18

Titan
Check that PSU upgrade from 500w to 600w was really enough for your system. Add up the required wattage for all components and add about 25%.

When the computer runs look at the Event Viewer logs and see what problems (errors and warnings) have been generated.

Double check that all external and internal cable and power connections are correct and secure. Check that all cards, RAM, and chips are securely seated.

RAM: no "i think". Pull the chips and check.

When it runs check that all drivers are up to date: especially for the graphics card.

assault1212

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012

the psu was adequate 500w. before it happened, my computer just runs fine after this issue occured. i thought that the psu was the one to blame then i replaced it with a 600w one. i even calculated it in a psu calculator.

i have cleaned, checked and reseated the cables. i ran chkdsk with 0kb in bad sectors. there are no bent transistors in my motherboard.

Ralston18

Titan
How does the power button feel? I.e., good clean "click"? Could be the switch is failing.

Does the computer boot with the correct date and time? Check the condition of the motherboard battery.

Is power coming via a UPS, some surge protector, a power strip, or just an ordinary power bar?

What about the Event Viewer logs? No errors or warnings attributable to boot up times?

assault1212

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012

-the power button feels fine. i had also changed it with my reset button just in case (because its was rarely used and guaranteed in good condition)
-there is power running in my ups. tested it with a multimeter with a solid 240w from the wall.
-i also find a psu calculator and it sums up to 260w full load
-also runned sfc /scannow in CMD. and "windows resource protection didnt find any integrity violation"

-dont know about this ScRegSetValueExW in the event viewer thats all i can see in my event viewer and some dns client erros.

for the ScRegSetValueExW if it is the cause of my problem:
Log Name: System
Source: Service Control Manager
Date: 1/4/2016 7:37:34 AM
Event ID: 7006
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: user-PC
Description:
The ScRegSetValueExW call failed for Type with the following error:
Access is denied.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">7006</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-01-03T23:37:34.561721100Z" />
<EventRecordID>1158730</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="556" ThreadID="1132" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>user-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="param1">ScRegSetValueExW</Data>
<Data Name="param2">Type</Data>
<Data Name="param3">%%5</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Ralston18

Titan
Wall outlet 240 watts? I trust you mean 240 volts and that is normal for your area - correct? What is the input voltage switch set at on the PSU? If no switch check the power label for the working input voltage and frequency.

Also please take a look at this link:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd349408(v=ws.10).aspx

What I do not know is whether or not a power problem could lead to that situation/error....

Basically you need to dig into the logs a bit deeper but you may have found a clue.....

assault1212

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012

in the philippines. the current here is 220 volts. the input voltage of the psu is 240-110 volts. it was set by the manufacturer by default to 220 volts.

in the logs. i just only found some errors in my modem, unexpected shutdowns because of this and the error above.

Ralston18

Titan
Not sure, to be honest, about what to suggest at this point.

However, I am interested in that error as it has some intersection with another error I have been working on (7001) which also has some involvement with the Service Control Manager.

Possible bug in a Windows update that causes devices to disappear from the network.

The event link you provided does not seem to be available.

In the interim, take a look into "Windows Socket Registry Entries are Missing" and also "Service Control Manager".

There may be some additional hints that will relate to your problem. Sort of stretching this all a bit but felt it best to at least pass along a possible investigation path.

assault1212

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
its been a while since i started this thread. it solved. replaced power supply due to the power cord was only supporting 110 volts which shorted out my psu. mis placed it with my power connector for my monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.