Question PC takes several minutes to boot up after few hours of not being used

treiden

Prominent
Nov 5, 2019
So I have this strange problem with my computer. The entire system works completely fine, no hassles with anything at all, except for when the PC has been turned off for 4 or 5 hours, and I turn it on after that.

When I turn on my PC after several hours of it having been turned off, it takes several minutes (2 to 3) to boot up. It turns on, the RGB in my PC case turns on, and I can hear the fans turn on as well. But the screen stays black, and my peripherals also stay turned off. It stays like this for a few minutes, then the PC seemingly reboots (fans and RGB turn off and on again), I then hear the startup beep, and the computer starts up normally then and works completely fine after that too. My Windows clock will also be reset to 0:00 when this happens.

If the PC has been off for a shorter period of time (anything under 3 or 4 hours), it'll just boot up normally immediately once I turn it on. Also no hassles with the clock.

At first I thought it was the mobo's CMOS battery acting wonky, so I replaced that, but no change unfortunately. Fresh windows install also doesn't help.
Task manager gives me a last Bios time of 24,8 seconds.

Ideas or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

My setup:

Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite motherboard
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x @ 3,59Ghz
2x Kingston HyperX KHX3000C15/16GX 16 GB DDR4-2666 DDR4 SDRAM
Gigabyte Nvidia Geforce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB VRAM
Samsung SSD 850 Evo (250 GB) --> This one has Windows installed on it
Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus (2 TB)
Western Digital Red SA500 SSD (1 TB)
Corsair HX1200 power supply (1200W)

When it takes several minutes to boot up do you see a blinking cursor on the screen?
You can try running a small program called BootRacer to get a better idea what is happening on startup.

cc47877a0140bc1a7651e6ee7ff3427cbootracer-b.jpg

treiden

Prominent
Nov 5, 2019
When it takes several minutes to boot up do you see a blinking cursor on the screen?
You can try running a small program called BootRacer to get a better idea what is happening on startup.

cc47877a0140bc1a7651e6ee7ff3427cbootracer-b.jpg

No, I should have specified, the screen doesn't even get a signal during this time.

I'll try running that, but I can't test it now, since I'm currently using my PC, so I'll need to let it "cool down" for a few hours again.
I'll post the results here once I have them.

Thanks for the tip already, anyway!

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Does it boot faster if you disconnect all USB devices?
The fact it restarts, I suspect, could be a RAM issue. Some motherboards fail to supply RAM with 1.35v or more during first boot. So it tries with 1.20v and of course that fails if you are not running 2133 Mhz. So it reboots.

The clock shouldn't reset to 00:00 unless the battery is depleted. A motherboard resetting the clock to default would be quite a special case. Have you updated BIOS? If so, did it go well? Other thing I can think of is damage to the BIOS chip on mobo, for example with a screwdriver.
Did you just buy the CMOS battery? The CR2032.

Oct 9, 2021
Happens the same to me. I still haven't found a solution to this issue. Not changes when I unplug every usb off my computer. BIOS also is updated to the last version. What else could I try?