PC temp hangs at Q-code 64 then A2 at POST.

tomengland

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
Hi,

Recently did a completely clean install of windows 10. Prior to this I had boot times of around 15 seconds - these have now gone to around 40-60s.

On looking at the motherboard I can see that the boot process hangs at error 64 on the mb splash screen for around 20s, then error A2 on a plain black screen for another 20s before loading to the windows screen and into desktop in about 5 seconds.

64 is shown as "CPU DXE initialisation is started"
A2 is shown as "IDE detect"

I'm stumped as to what has caused this.

I did a clean install with only my ssd connected to G1. Installed in UEFI and ACHI. Boot drive is the only one selected at startup. Other hdd drives are connected to G2/3. No overclocking.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Z97 Pro
I7-4790k w/ Noctua NH-D14
Corsair 750
2x8gb hyper x and 2x4gb hyper x Ram
Crucial MX-100 - 512gb SSD
2x2TB HDD
Geforce 1060
Win 10

Edit: GPU added

Solution

Try booting with just the 2 sticks of 8gb RAM installed to see if that speed up the boot times.
A2 "IDE detect" is not an error, it's just telling you the BIOS is searching for a legacy IDE drive.

When Fast Boot is enabled do you have "SATA Support" set to "Boot Drive Only"?

SATA Support [All Devices]
[All Devices] All devices connected to SATA ports are available during POST. This process extends the POST time.
[Hard Drive Only] Only hard drives connected to SATA ports are detected during POST.
[Boot Drive Only] Only boot drives connected to a SATA ports are detected during POST.

Try booting with just the 2 sticks of 8gb RAM installed to see if that speed up the boot times.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS