Question PC temporarily slowing down randomly

Ian_64

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2016
I have a 5900x, 3080, 32GB of ram and windows 11.

My pc is only a few months old at this point and this has been a problem since I got it. Every so often everything will suddenly slow down and any audio playing will get tinny and stretched out, as if you've slowed down a video. This only lasts for a couple seconds and everything goes back to normal.
Temperature is not an issue since under load both CPU and GPU max out at about 60C.

Lutfij

Titan
Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time. Include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model if it's been in service for a while.

Considering you're working with Windows, open up Task Manager and see if there's a particular application or process that's hogging resources which might corroborate with the sudden slow downs.

Temperature is not an issue since under load both CPU and GPU max out at about 60C
This thread was posted in PC Gaming, does the issue happen when you're gaming?

Ian_64

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2016
Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time. Include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model if it's been in service for a while.

Considering you're working with Windows, open up Task Manager and see if there's a particular application or process that's hogging resources which might corroborate with the sudden slow downs.

Temperature is not an issue since under load both CPU and GPU max out at about 60C
This thread was posted in PC Gaming, does the issue happen when you're gaming?

CPU: 5900x
Motherboard: x570s aorus pro ax
Ram: 32GB
SSD: windows is stored on a 1TB NVME SSD
GPU: 3080
PSU: CORSAIR 850W RMx
Case: CORSAIR 5000D

The bios version in system info says version 3.3. The PSU was new when I got the PC so only a few months of use. I never really get a chance to look on task manager as it only lasts a couple of seconds and everything seems normal by the time I do open task manager. I think it has happened when just using a browser and discord also but it's most noticeable when gaming.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2021
Hi Ian,
Sometimes, the problem is not so much complicated, as we think. Try the below simple fixes, and you may see that your problem is solved.

Troubleshoot Windows 11 Performance
Change power settings
Disable transparency effects
Adjust Windows 11 for the best performance
Disable startup apps
Close background apps
Clean temporary files
Run Storage Sense
Defrag your hard disk

Let me know if it solves your problem or not. Cheers!