okjak808

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
Hello everyone. I have a gaming rig that I've built myself here are my specs.

Motherboard: MSI H61-P31 (G3)
CPU: Core I5 2300 (Stock cooler)
GPU: GTX 970 4GB Windforce G1
8GB DDR3 ram 1333mhz
Toshiba q pro SSD 128GB
Toshiba HDD 500GB
Power Supply: Corsair RM750 80plus gold
Case: NZXT 510
Fans: 3 Corsair SP120 RB fans, and 1 NZXT fan that came with the case.

So I do have a problem with this build, and it has to do with heat. So when Idle my motherboard temps are at 60, CPU 50c, GPU 50. When gaming I'm not sure what my motherboard temps are, but I would have to guess 70. While my CPU hangs around 70c, and my GPU at 80c. Although my entire case gets hot, but not too hot where it actually burns your skin, just hot. But my power supply gets really hot where sometimes it burns my finger when touching it, the fan does spin when gaming, or when underload but it still gets really hot. Should I be worried with my temps, or they're okay? I do have 3 fans working in my case, one fan at the back to bring in cool air, while having 2 fans at the front of the case to bring out hot air. I know I mentioned having 4 fans but the reason why the 4th one is not working is because I do not have another fan splitter which I'm about to get soon as my motherboard only having 2 ports for system fans, and 1 for the CPU.

I also did research about the NZXT h510 having decent to bad airflow, so maybe it could be that, but some say that it's okay I guess. I did apply new thermal paste, and cleaned both the cpu and gpu.

Off topic. I know my CPU is a bottleneck, and I'm going to upgrade it soon.

Thank you for reading!
C

Solution

8GB DDR3 ram 1333mhz
Toshiba q pro SSD 128GB
Toshiba HDD 500GB

So I do have a problem with this build, and it has to do with heat. So when Idle my motherboard temps are at 60, CPU 50c, GPU 50. When gaming I'm not sure what my motherboard temps are, but I would have to guess 70. While my CPU hangs around 70c, and my GPU at 80c. Although my entire case gets hot, but not too hot where it actually burns your skin, just hot. But my power supply...

Ferimer

Distinguished

8GB DDR3 ram 1333mhz
Toshiba q pro SSD 128GB
Toshiba HDD 500GB

So I do have a problem with this build, and it has to do with heat. So when Idle my motherboard temps are at 60, CPU 50c, GPU 50. When gaming I'm not sure what my motherboard temps are, but I would have to guess 70. While my CPU hangs around 70c, and my GPU at 80c. Although my entire case gets hot, but not too hot where it actually burns your skin, just hot. But my power supply gets really hot where sometimes it burns my finger when touching it, the fan does spin when gaming, or when underload but it still gets really hot. Should I be worried with my temps, or they're okay? I do have 3 fans working in my case, one fan at the back to bring in cool air, while having 2 fans at the front of the case to bring out hot air. I know I mentioned having 4 fans but the reason why the 4th one is not working is because I do not have another fan splitter which I'm about to get soon as my motherboard only having 2 ports for system fans, and 1 for the CPU.

I also did research about the NZXT h510 having decent to bad airflow, so maybe it could be that, but some say that it's okay I guess. I did apply new thermal paste, and cleaned both the cpu and gpu.

Off topic. I know my CPU is a bottleneck, and I'm going to upgrade it soon.

Thank you for reading!
C
Swap the fans the other way around. Put the rear for Exhaust and the 2 for Intake. you have a negative pressure where you are blowing out all the air before it can even cool anything. You want to always bring in more cool air than you are expelling ALL air

EDIT: Also how is your case sitting? is the back towards a wall ? if so that is also going to create a problem, you wont be sucking in much air if the back is being blocked by a wall. You want as much open space around your INTAKE fans as possible. The more being pushed towards your components that need the cooling the better. I am not sure if you can get away with a 140MM as the rear but if you can look into that, as you can pump up the RPM on it and still allow it to be quiet.

Edit2: The top fan mount for your case can support the 140mm. but I wouldn't worry about that as the top would just pull air away from your CPU

Last edited:
Solution

okjak808

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
Swap the fans the other way around. Put the rear for Exhaust and the 2 for Intake. you have a negative pressure where you are blowing out all the air before it can even cool anything. You want to always bring in more cool air than you are expelling ALL air

EDIT: Also how is your case sitting? is the back towards a wall ? if so that is also going to create a problem, you wont be sucking in much air if the back is being blocked by a wall. You want as much open space around your INTAKE fans as possible. The more being pushed towards your components that need the cooling the better. I am not sure if you can get away with a 140MM as the rear but if you can look into that, as you can pump up the RPM on it and still allow it to be quiet.

Edit2: The top fan mount for your case can support the 140mm. but I wouldn't worry about that as the top would just pull air away from your CPU

I'm sorry for the late reply damn I forgot to turn on notifications, and I thought no one replied...

Yes I feel so dumb now.. I went through online and I can see that most pc have their front fans bringing in cool air while the back is venting out hot air. I should've known this from the start because the way I set up my fans are just trapping all the hot air in the front case. So I did what you said, and now temps are normal as it should be (GPU 75 temps, CPU 60 temps, Motherboard 55c. Unfortunately guys my GTX 970 was still getting hot, and one night it kind of died. Whenever booting up I my resolution would be like 480p, and there are glitch green, and blue lines on screen. It still shows my windows booting up, and my background what not, but the display is just messed up. Also it pretty much uses my integrated GPU as Display driver showing as "Microsoft Generic Display Adapter". But when windows try to install the GTX 970 drivers it tries to get into full resolution 1080p, and black screens with glitch lines all over screen.

Of course it's my graphics card, and I did buy it as a second hand from a previous owner on eBay for 90 dollars (free shipping). Although it was in very dirty, thermal paste was solid, thermal pads were non existed, but I replaced both the paste and pads, and then cleaned the GPU with 70 percent alcohol. It worked for around 2 weeks, but it just died 2 days ago...

I was really looking forward to saving up for a better motherboard but now I'm going to have to find a new GPU, but I'm thinking about getting a RX 480 which upon research seems to have almost to similar performance as the GTX 970. Better yet newer architecture, and it draws less power and omg it's only 100 dollars! (free shipping on eBay).

Yes it's used but l can see that it was in better condition than the GTX 970 I got. I do expect what to get when buying used parts I just don't expect them to die out within a short time. I've bought most of my parts used for example my Motherboard which is years old, an used. I've had it for a year already and still doing amazing.

Thank you all for the help again sorry for not replying

Last edited:

okjak808

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
I'm no expert.. haha. But your psu definitely shouldn't be so hot that it burns you when you touch it. And I honestly would be concerned about airflow. That thing sounds like an oven ! :O

Yeah I know, but it's working as usually now. The way I setup my fans where incorrect so my PSU was collecting most of the heat causing it to heat up. Surprisingly it did not fail on me or I would have to get another PSU. I accidentally broke the warranty sticker on the screws "No I did not take it apart" It was because I kind of scratch my PSU against my case when setting up my case.

Yeah I know, but it's working as usually now. The way I setup my fans where incorrect so my PSU was collecting most of the heat causing it to heat up. Surprisingly it did not fail on me or I would have to get another PSU. I accidentally broke the warranty sticker on the screws "No I did not take it apart" It was because I kind of scratch my PSU against my case when setting up my case.
That's good to hear.

Ferimer

Distinguished
That is really good news to hear that you have managed to get your temps back to normal, not so good about your GPU. Honestly I would save up and wait a bit right now. Prices are going to drop due to the 3000 series of cards coming out this month. If you hold out a bit you could probably get a MId level card for a very good price