[SOLVED] PC Temps too high on Phanteks Evolv Shift? Help!

hakar.ahmed

Commendable
Jan 22, 2018
I have upgraded to a GTX 1080 plus and 9600K CPU(not overclocked). I am using a Phanteks Evolv shift case and when the glass panel is on, the CPU temps reach 80-90 Degrees on load, playing Rdr2 ultra @ 1440p. The GPU goes up to 82 degrees and does not go past that. I am not sure if I should upgrade to a H60 watercooler, the current heatsink I have is a Cryorig C7, prior to this I used to have a i5 7500 & 1060 6GB but never reached these temps. When I take the front glass panel off, the CPU temps drop down to 50-65 on load, drastic change. I am also using some 140mm blue "uphere" LED fans, 3 of them, It also may be that they are very cheap and air intake suck on them. The Cryorig heatsink may be too small for this powerful CPU, would a H60 plus(bigger heatsink) and some better corsair fans make a difference? Thanks!

Solution
For the Shift I'd not use the H60. Too small. Use a Corsair H80i instead, it's a thicker rad and has the benefit of dual fans. Use that as bottom intake, not exhaust, the Shift benefits from 'chimney' thermal properties. Should also have 2x 140mm as intake to help feed the gpu.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Manufacturers should really be more specific about their niche cases, especially ones aimed at liquid cooling...

The GPU goes up to 82 degrees and does not go past that.
Because 83C is the default thermal throttle limit for many of the newer cards.

I used to have a i5 7500 & 1060 6GB but never reached these temps.
Because you upped the ante on power and thermals.

When I take the front glass panel off, the CPU temps drop down to 50-65 on load, drastic change.
Because air coolers will be choked in there. This was a case designed for liquid cooled builds.

I am also using some 140mm blue "uphere" LED fans, 3 of them, It also may be that they are very cheap and air intake suck on them.
Yep. The static pressure is likely garbage.

would a H60 plus(bigger heatsink) and some better corsair fans make a difference?
Better idea than leaving the air cooler and Uphere fans in there.
Won't help the GTX 1080 though.

hakar.ahmed

Commendable
Jan 22, 2018
That cooler just barely meets the minimum thermal output of your CPU at base clock speeds.

Where are the fans located and what configuration do you have them?

You may want to use static pressure fans instead of air flow due to the restrictive nature of your case as well.
Hi! Thanks for replying, I have two 140mm fans at the bottom of the case as intake and one above beside the motherboard and cpu as exhaust. If you know the design of the Evolv shift, you'll see only 3 fans limit. I might just upgrade to some better Corsair fans 140mm and do a corsair H60.

hakar.ahmed

Commendable
Jan 22, 2018
Manufacturers should really be more specific about their niche cases, especially ones aimed at liquid cooling...

Because 83C is the default thermal throttle limit for many of the newer cards.

Because you upped the ante on power and thermals.

Because air coolers will be choked in there. This was a case designed for liquid cooled builds.

Yep. The static pressure is likely garbage.

Better idea than leaving the air cooler and Uphere fans in there.
Won't help the GTX 1080 though.
Thank you very much for the help, I will be upgrading to a h60 and put 3 corsair fans in them, does it matter which corsair fans? the best ones are around $40-$50 here in canada, they are so expensive, while cheapest ones are $20-$30. What can I do to keep temps down on the 1080? or will it just stay that way given the type of case and lack of airflow? I really love my case, otherwise I could upgrade but its whats my favorite part of my PC. Aesthetically sexy and pleasing to look at. Thanks!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You want fans with a high static pressure - at least 2.0mmH2O; basically radiator fans.

As for the GTX 1080: set higher fan curves on both the gpu and the case/radiator fans. You might be able to brute force lower temps on it that way... gotta make the most of it.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
For the Shift I'd not use the H60. Too small. Use a Corsair H80i instead, it's a thicker rad and has the benefit of dual fans. Use that as bottom intake, not exhaust, the Shift benefits from 'chimney' thermal properties. Should also have 2x 140mm as intake to help feed the gpu.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution

hakar.ahmed

Commendable
Jan 22, 2018
Hi! Thanks for replying! Okay so the H80i would be better than the H60? My question is will it fit the bottom of the Evolv shift beside the PSU and the 1080 peaking out. I use the H80i at the bottom of the case as air intake to the case and use two 140mm also as intake, shouldn't i have any exhaust? there would be no fans to take air out of the case, hot air out the case. Thanks!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
There's a problem there - and it's in small print.
http://www.phanteks.com/Enthoo-Evolv-Shift.html
27mm thick rads

hakar.ahmed

Commendable
Jan 22, 2018
Ah, all good then.
One question tho, I will have two 120mm on the H80i as intake fans, intaking heat from the bottom of the case into the case, the two 140s on the side, should one be intake and the other exhaust to take out the hot air out? or both 140s as intake and no exhaust? thanks

hakar.ahmed

Commendable
Jan 22, 2018
Karadjgne knows more about liquid cooling than I do, but with what I do know: the H80i is on par with some 240mm AIOs, so it would be more reliable than the H60.
One last question, would the 1080 at 83 degrees be an issue? does this affect the lifespan of the video card given the nature of the small form factor case? I appreciate all the help you've given, and advice, its helped alot in choosing the components I need for an efficient build. I appreciate all who commented on my post.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The H80i series has a much thicker radiator giving it almost the same ability as the h100i 240mm. For loads below the @ 180w area, they perform almost the same.

This builder is running dual rads, which is where the 27mm 'thin' limitation is used, the thin rad (deepcool white) has a 25mm Noctua fan. Because of the use of the thick rad on bottom, there's no clearance for a fan on top.

If just using a single rad, the 27mm limit doesn't apply. Only to duals.

If I was going to replace any fans, it would be replace the stock Corsair fans on the H80i with Noctua chromax black NF-A12x15 slims ($20 each) which would give better flow anyways.

With just the bottom area as intake, use the top fans as exhaust. You could even flip the rad sideways, use dual stock fans as a front intake with a 25mm below blowing upwards. (like the Deepcool).

Fans are easy to reverse, so you can play around to see what gives the gpu better temps, with the cpu on aio there's less of a concern there.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
One last question, would the 1080 at 83 degrees be an issue? does this affect the lifespan of the video card given the nature of the small form factor case? I appreciate all the help you've given, and advice, its helped alot in choosing the components I need for an efficient build. I appreciate all who commented on my post.
It affects the gpu's boost clocks.
Nvidia's Gpu Boost automatically 'overclocks' the core clock based on power and thermal headroom. The cooler it runs, the better.

https://www.evga.com/products/specs/gpu.aspx?pn=ab7b6447-6329-4361-8ab7-4ad62ea6a2af
I think that's your gpu? There's like 3 different SC(SuperClocked) models.
Anyway, the advertised boost clock displayed here is more of a worst case scenario. With the appropriate cooling, the gpu can easily boost over 100mhz higher.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Haha, that's technically SFF due to mITX limitation, but to me, it's massive.

The case I've ordered is a ncase M1 v6.1, it's about the size of a large shoebox. It's going to have a 2070 Super, 3700x and full custom loop including 2x 240mm radiators.

That's SFF....

Airflow? What airflow? I can't afford airflow, there's not enough room to add airflow too with the components...