PC test build outside of case won't run – graphics, short circuit, power connector, or BIOS update?

i__need__help

Commendable
Jul 6, 2016
O.K., so I am building my first custom PC. Following the advice in this video, I decided to do a test build outside of my case first. I installed the CPU (Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core), the CPU cooler (which came in the box with the CPU), and the RAM (Corsair Vengeance 1 x 8GB DDR3-1866) into the motherboard (MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150). Then, I connected the 24-pin and 4-pin cables from the power supply (Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX) to the motherboard. I turned on the power supply, and the fan started, but stopped a second later. I have not been able to get it to turn on again.

I have four theories as to why this might be happening.

1) I need to also connect the graphics card for it to work. I think this is the least likely possibility, because the CPU has an integrated GPU.

2) I have not connected the power supply properly. There is only a 24-pin slot and a 4-pin slot on the motherboard, but the video MSI linked to from the manual shows a motherboard with an 8-pin slot. I figure this is probably O.K. but I may have messed it up.

3) When I first turned it on, I shorted out the power somehow. This would explain why the power worked for a second and then stopped. I don't know what I did that could've caused this, though – I was wearing an anti-static wristband attached to the plugged in but turned off power supply throughout the building process, and I took it off when I turned on the power.

4) I think the most likely possibility is that I need to update the BIOS on my motherboard. When I put together the build on PCPartPicker, it said, "Some Intel H81 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Haswell Refresh CPUs." However, all of the guides I've found online about how to update BIOS involve starting up the computer, and my problem is that the computer won't start. Is there any way I can update the BIOS from a different computer or do I have to get a new motherboard?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
If you got the power supply from a site like newegg then check for Warranty but I'm sure if you go to the Corsair site you will be able to swap that psu out it could be faulty. If the powersupply doesn't turn on it could either possible be because something went wrong with the 4 pin- connection that you plugged into the motherboard or the powersupply could have just been crappy.

PrivilegeYT

Distinguished
If you got the power supply from a site like newegg then check for Warranty but I'm sure if you go to the Corsair site you will be able to swap that psu out it could be faulty. If the powersupply doesn't turn on it could either possible be because something went wrong with the 4 pin- connection that you plugged into the motherboard or the powersupply could have just been crappy.

Solution

i__need__help

Commendable
Jul 6, 2016

OK, thanks.