Question PC thinks print server is still present ?

NigelJ

Commendable
Dec 15, 2020
Last year I bought a print server (wired) for my laser printer, which needs to be more than 5 metres from my PC. A few weeks ago it stopped working. I contacted the supplier, but to no avail. I bought a USB repeater lead, uninstalled the print server driver, reinstalled the laser printer driver, but I cannot print (it wants to print to a file). I know it's not the PC as my old one can print to with no problems. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

NigelJ

Commendable
Dec 15, 2020
Windows 7. It appears under Printers and Faxes at all times, When switched on an image the same as the print server appears under Unspecified. I've tried to post a picture of it but it won't let me.

NigelJ

Commendable
Dec 15, 2020
I've tried this. When I've installed the driver it says it can't see the printer, even though it's attached. I've uninstalled the driver for the print server (using the disc provided) but for some reason the computer still thinks the print server is there. At least I can still use the printer with my old PC, as I didn't install the print server on that.

NigelJ

Commendable
Dec 15, 2020
I've just checked my other PC. That has "USB001 - virtual printer port for USB". The one with the problem doesn't. Could that be the problem, and how do I get it on?

Last year I bought a print server (wired) for my laser printer, which needs to be more than 5 metres from my PC. A few weeks ago it stopped working. I contacted the supplier, but to no avail. I bought a USB repeater lead, uninstalled the print server driver, reinstalled the laser printer driver, but I cannot print (it wants to print to a file). I know it's not the PC as my old one can print to with no problems. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

What is this printer server you bought? Another computer can use that print server without issues? When you get that Unspecified device it shows the drivers are not loaded properly. Go to device manager and try to update the drivers for it manually by pointing it to the driver files.

NigelJ

Commendable
Dec 15, 2020
My other computer doesn't use the print server (I never installed it) it has always been direct. I've uninstalled it (or tried to!) using the installation disc, but the computer still thinks it's there.

My other computer doesn't use the print server (I never installed it) it has always been direct. I've uninstalled it (or tried to!) using the installation disc, but the computer still thinks it's there.

You did not say what the print server is that you are using. Why not just use the printer same way as the other computer was? Are you trying to network the printer, is that what the printer server is that you are using? Or are you actually sharing this printer off a computer?

NigelJ

Commendable
Dec 15, 2020
The printer server is a Wavlink WL-NU78M41. After the print server developed a fault, and the supplier would not reply, I decided to revert to connecting direct using the USB cable, but the computer will not do it that way (see above posts/pictures). I only got the print server because of the distance the printer is from the PC. With the benefit of hindsight, I should have used a USB repeater lead to start with.

The printer server is a Wavlink WL-NU78M41. After the print server developed a fault, and the supplier would not reply, I decided to revert to connecting direct using the USB cable, but the computer will not do it that way (see above posts/pictures). I only got the print server because of the distance the printer is from the PC. With the benefit of hindsight, I should have used a USB repeater lead to start with.

Delete all instances of the printer from the computer, including in Device Manager. From Device Manager enable the option to show hidden devices to make sure it's not there also.

Before connecting the printer to the computer with a cable download and run the printer driver setup, at some point it should ask you to connect the printer, connect it then and see if the setup finishes. Then just make sure it's set as the default and print something.

NigelJ

Commendable
Dec 15, 2020
Yes, tried all them. I am using a 5 metre USB repeater lead (which works fine on my other PC). I've just checked my other PC. That has "USB001 - virtual printer port for USB". The one with the problem doesn't. Could that be the problem, and how do I get it on?

Yes, tried all them. I am using a 5 metre USB repeater lead (which works fine on my other PC). I've just checked my other PC. That has "USB001 - virtual printer port for USB". The one with the problem doesn't. Could that be the problem, and how do I get it on?

Use a normal shorter USB cable, I have seen issues caused by too long of a USB cable. That USB port you see would be setup when the computer sees the printer.

NigelJ

Commendable
Dec 15, 2020
I've tried two short USB leads, in two different ports, but my PC still doesn't see the printer. I can install the driver, and the printer appears, but when I try to print to it nothing happens.