PC Throwing Various Errors, Stuff Won't Install, Few BSOD's... TL;DR: HELP!

Adam_71

Reputable
Jan 20, 2016
Hey guys!

So I'm having a huge problem with my GF's PC and I am at the end of my tether with it so I'm reaching out for help. The specs I have just thrown in the PCPartPicker list that I used and is down below so to not breakup this lovely wall of text for you!

Mid last year I built a very "budget" PC for my GF to play WoW on when Legion came out, got it up and running without any real hitches other than the fact that Windows 7 wouldn't update, even with manually downloaded updates. I installed all the hardware drivers manually anyway so I wasn't that bothered and it's been pretty much fine since.

Then over the past couple of weeks games (WoW and Overwatch) have crashed a couple of times (or drastically lost FPS but would recover by restarting the game), then last night she was attempting to play Overwatch and it just wouldn't start and the PC started BSOD'ing.

So I decided if I'm having problems with it that are gunna need fixing I might as well also buy a copy of Windows 10 and start a new so that's what I did this morning. I installed it, at the end of the install it BSOD'd due to "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT"
It installed fine but then for some reason Windows 10 wouldn't update, then audio driver install caused another BSOD (can't remember error code, think it was same as above)

Downloaded various microsoft tools to try diagnose the problem but all would fail so I figured maybe the download of Windows was corrupted so I redownloaded it and installed Win10 from another clean install formatting both SSD and HDD.
Installed fine, but then again at the very end did the whole "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT" BSOD but when it booted up then everything seemed fine, windows update worked fine, installed every update without a problem APART from the audio driver wasn't working. So I went to ASUS website to get my motherboard's drivers, downloaded the latest audio driver and it installed fine, sound is great.

However, that's when all hell broke loose apparently! Opened chrome to start downloading various every day programs but every tab was just going "Aww, snap" and failing to load, if I attempted to refresh the tab it would BSOD again with a few different reasons MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED (it mentioned a .dll that had failed but I dunno which one was it closed before I had a chance to note it down) and a third one but I can't remember what.
Read various threads and the most common answer is that the RAM is faulty so I ran Windows Memory Diagnostic which reported faults but didn't tell me what they were asked a friend who works in IT support for quickest way to test that and he said to use a program named Prime95. Attempted to download it but Chrome was still crashing out so used Microsoft Edge which also started crashing. Eventually got it downloaded and it's currently running in the background but so far it's passing every test.

Everything is under warranty so I can send parts back but it's a matter of figuring out exactly what is faulty.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

[PCPartPicker part list](https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Nmjrhq) / [Price breakdown by merchant](https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Nmjrhq/by_merchant/)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor (£105.46 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI H110M Gaming Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£65.80 @ Alza)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (£65.86 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£51.62 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£47.15 @ BT Shop)
Case: Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£47.28 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£53.51 @ Aria PC)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter (£6.66 @ Ebuyer)
Monitor: BenQ GL2250HM 21.5" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor (£89.99 @ Amazon UK)
Keyboard: Logitech K120 Wired Standard Keyboard (£13.95 @ Amazon UK)
Other: Sapphire Radeon RX 460 (£109.98)
Total: £657.26
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-03 17:53 BST+0100

EDIT: I don't have 2 sticks of RAM, not sure why it linked to that! This is the RAM installed:
http://www.ebuyer.com/743023-corsair-vengeance-lpx-8gb-ddr4-2400mhz-1-2v-dimm-memory-module-cmk8gx4m1a2400c16

Solution
Prime 95 checks CPU, not ram.....

I would download this on another PC and make a USB using the free version of memtest86 and test your ram, 1 stick at a time. Any errors means stick needs to be replaced. Perfect score is 0.

Memory management can also be drivers or Hard drive (as memory is page file as well) but its not likely to be drivers during a clean install.

SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED could be caused by GPU drivers as I find it along side the ATI drivers your Radeon uses. - which would explain the crashing in games.

Can you download and run who crashed - it will give us a glimpse of the errors you getting and might help us solve them

Copy/paste summary in here and I see what I can do :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
Prime 95 checks CPU, not ram.....

I would download this on another PC and make a USB using the free version of memtest86 and test your ram, 1 stick at a time. Any errors means stick needs to be replaced. Perfect score is 0.

Memory management can also be drivers or Hard drive (as memory is page file as well) but its not likely to be drivers during a clean install.

SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED could be caused by GPU drivers as I find it along side the ATI drivers your Radeon uses. - which would explain the crashing in games.

Can you download and run who crashed - it will give us a glimpse of the errors you getting and might help us solve them

Copy/paste summary in here and I see what I can do :)

Solution
Remove one stick of RAM and test. Then the other and if one works without issue then its the RAM. If the issue occures with either RAM then its not your RAM. Next try just using your HD by installing windows 10. Then just the SSD installing windows 10. If it still occures with with either then its not your drives. Without a stable OS its going to be hard to test withing windows. Try running without your wifi card. If the issue remains then your wifi shouldn't be the issue. Basically remove item and if the error remains its not that part.

Your weakest part has me most worried. The Corsair Builder PSU aren't very good. Do you have another PSU to test with? If you didn't find the issue at this point your going to need to remove all drives, extra cards, and look at making a Hiren or UBCD USB to test just your motherboard, RAM, and CPU. If you get random errors from all 3 then your PSU may be failing to supply stable power. This tool will let you create either but the Hiren's boot USB is more windows like and the UBCD is more old school batch menu looking.
https://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

Adam_71

Reputable
Jan 20, 2016

Hey thanks for the response. I was running Prime95 in blend mode which also checks RAM but either way it was running for 2 hours and passed everything.[

I went ahead and did the steps you suggested with the following results:
So first I ran the WhoCrashed and got this output:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crash Dump Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Mon 03/04/2017 16:56:31 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\040317-5250-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: dxgmms2.sys (dxgmms2+0x2050)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF80407752050, 0xFFFF8481244D7328, 0xFFFF8481244D6B50)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\dxgmms2.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: DirectX Graphics MMS
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 03/04/2017 16:56:31 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: dxgmms2.sys (dxgmms2+0x2050)
Bugcheck code: 0x7E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF80407752050, 0xFFFF8481244D7328, 0xFFFF8481244D6B50)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\dxgmms2.sys
description: DirectX Graphics MMS
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a system thread generated an exception that the error handler did not catch.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 03/04/2017 16:49:03 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\040317-5109-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x14E7C0)
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x5003, 0xFFFFA10010804310, 0x31B9, 0x31BB000637A)
Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 03/04/2017 16:45:50 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\040317-5046-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x14E7C0)
Bugcheck code: 0xEF (0xFFFFBC0571390800, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED
Bug check description: This indicates that a critical system process died.
There is a possibility this problem was caused by a virus or other malware.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 03/04/2017 15:24:29 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\040317-4187-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x14A510)
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x41792, 0xFFFF8A013D46AA50, 0x8, 0x0)
Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).

Regarding MemTest, it is still running but I wanted to update since it seems to be taking a while and wanted to respond asap! Either way here is an image of it so far:
dK7223o.jpg

Huge thanks for the response so far!

Hey!
Thanks for the response!

So I can't remove a stick of RAM because I only have one, I accidentally clicked the wrong one on the PC part picker list haha, I added an edit to the bottom with the correct one!
I thought about trying installing on the HDD so will give that a go once I've finished this current MemTest. I don't however have other parts to swap in and out >.<
I did try the setup without wifi though and just ran cables across the house but it resulted in the exact same issues

Thanks again

KK just make that USB on another PC and remove drives and cards. Boot up either Hiren's or UBCD and test your RAM, motherboard, and CPU. Either of those have a massive amount of test tools. In testing tools you will see it has memtest86 and prime95. Also it has other tools to test drives network and many other PC parts. Im suggesting this because doesn't sound like any windows tests would work as doesn't sound like windows is stable.
https://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd