PC to LG TV via HDMI - Corrupted display over time

spectra9

Distinguished
May 24, 2004
Hi All.

I have LG 43UJ652T Smart TV which is 4K capable. I am trying to connect my Windows 10 PC with GTX 1080 Ti GPU to this monitor via HDMI. As noted in display settings, the resolution established is 3840 x 2160, RGB, 8bit, 60 Hz. Windows said its the native resolution, but I can up it to 4096 x 2160 @ 60Hz if I want to. My HDMI cable is a 6 meter one which the spec says capable of running 4K@60Hz.

The problem is, it does not last :-(

After around 10 minutes it will show slight white horizontal corruption and it's getting worse from there, to the point where there are lots of them and the display will go blank momentarily like you would see in the video. If I turn off the TV for a short time and turn it on again, it will be better but the corruption always comes back no matter what. The longer I left the TV turned off, the "cleaner" the display will be when I turn it back on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xlTDWpAJgo

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xlTDWpAJgo"][/video]

Do I have a bad TV? Or is it bad cable? However, I believe if it was bad cable, the corruption will occur from the start and not gradually like this. I have a shorter HDMI cable but it's not rated to run 4K. What you guys/gals suggest? Thank you

spectra9

Distinguished
May 24, 2004
Thanks for the suggestion. Do you think it's possible for a bad cable to cause gradual corruption like this? It's like it's become saturated over time and the rate cannot keep up. The cable I'm using now is barely 2 months old. The corruption also reminds me to a bad overclock somehow, although nothing is overclocked here

unclebun

Honorable
Mar 28, 2014
Although my LG 43" TV isn't a 4K, about 3-4 weeks ago we had it start blinking on and off like that, which kept getting worse until the HDMI port on the TV stopped working altogether, leaving the "no signal" message bouncing around on the screen. We switched to the other HDMI port and after a few days it did the same thing. TV is 5 months old, so under warranty they sent out a technician to replace the motherboard which has the ports on it. It worked two days before it did the same thing.

So don't sell your cable short. I think there's something wrong with LG's HDMI ports.

spectra9

Distinguished
May 24, 2004
Oh shoot that's what I'm afraid of. My TV has 4 HDMI ports and 3 of them gives no signal when connected to the PC. I didn't think much at the time, thinking it is somehow related to the PC connection being finicky. So it may possibly be the TV then. But to have it working for just 2 days is disheartening to say the least. That's bad. And my TV is just over a year old, so it's out of warranty I think :-(

spectra9

Distinguished
May 24, 2004
Just an update. I'm trying with a Displayport to HDMI Active converter now, and I find out that in all 4K resolutions have this corruption, while in 1080p resolution it's running fine. I don't know what to make of it, still not certain what is wrong here