pc-to-pc voip: unsuccessful so far

I have been testing, as a newbie, some voip applications/providers.
First, Skype on both Linux and Windows, and everything was working fine most
of the time.
Then I have been trying the SIP applications.
Me and a friend of mine (in two different european locations, both with DSL)
have registered first both with sipphone.com and then both on babble.net,
using X-lite on both sides, or X-lite and Kphone, or Kphone and the babble
software.
And in all cases, although we were able to establish a phone connection, the
voice quality was not enough good to have a conversation (we could hear
some vocal sounds, but nothing else).
In the case of babble it is pretty strange, as I am able to make phone call
through it (using X-lite or Kphone, DSL or even an analog modem) to normal
telephones. But I have never succeeded in making pc-to-pc calls.
Can anybody suggest me how to solve this strange thing, or at least how to
go in the right direction to solve it?

Mark Smith <nospam@nullism.nu> wrote in

> In the case of babble it is pretty strange, as I am able to make phone
> call through it (using X-lite or Kphone, DSL or even an analog modem)
> to normal telephones. But I have never succeeded in making pc-to-pc
> calls. Can anybody suggest me how to solve this strange thing, or at
> least how to go in the right direction to solve it?

Do you or the receiving party have a router (i.e. Linksys router?). If so,
you'll need to open some ports up to allow for incoming connections.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

Lucas Tam wrote:

> Do you or the receiving party have a router (i.e. Linksys router?). If so,
> you'll need to open some ports up to allow for incoming connections.

99% sure not (100% sure on my side of the connection)

Start with a simple test using an ethernet without the Internet. A
cross-over cable, or a small hub/switch will do. Ignore SIP
registration, and just call to the phone number at the other IP
address (on your same subnet).

For example:
- First PC running softphone at extension 100 on IP 192.168.1.100
- Second PC running softphone at extension 101 on IP 192.168.1.101
- First PC calls sip:101@192.168.1.101
- Second PC should "ring"; then you answer, talk, hang-up
- Second PC calls sip:100@192.168.1.100
- First PC should "ring"; then you answer, talk, hang-up

Once you get the above running, then try fancy stuff like routing
across the internet. At least then you will know you have a base
level of function (and how good or bad your audio sounds :).

HTH,

JDB