Question PC to TV input lag ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 23, 2023
Hi.
I purchased a TV this year, and for the most part it has been working well. However, I have a technical issue involving input delay, and I'm hoping that someone with a deep understanding of TV image processing can help me. The TV model is a JVC LT-55NQ7105A11 , although this has been an issue for various non-JVC brands as well.

I purchased this TV predominantly for gaming. The issue is this: When I connect my PC to the TV through an HDMI cable, there is a huge input delay that makes games unplayable.

I've already researched this issue before writing this question, so let me explain in more detail.

I have a video game console plugged into the TV through an HDMI cable. When I use this console, there is no noticeable input delay; I press a button on the controller and the associated action immediately responds on the screen.
I have a PC that plays the same game as the console, plugged into an external monitor (not the JVC TV) via an HDMI cable. There is also no noticeable input delay for this PC setup.

However, when I plug the PC into the TV using an HDMI cable, there is significant input delay; when I press a button, there is a second's delay before the associated action responds on the TV screen.

This isn't an issue of a faulty HDMI port or HDMI cable, I've tested every port and various cables with the same results. With the console, the TV has demonstrated its ability to run a game with no noticeable input delay, so that's not the issue. The PC is also able to run the game fine, so the PC isn't the issue either. The problem is that the TV's input delay is impeded when connected to a computer specifically.

Even though it's a 4K TV, I lock the resolution to 1080p when I connect it to the computer. The console and the PC are both able to display the game at 1080p 60fps in their own right with no input delay, but the PC plugged into the TV cannot run it without input delay at those settings.

I've looked into similar problems online, and this is what I've gathered so far: TV's, unlike regular desktop monitors, undergo a lot of image processing that can seriously impact input delay. However, in order for TV's to run consoles at smooth frame rates and low latency, a special game mode is activated that reduces the image processing and allows the game to run smoothly. My theory is that PC connections don't activate this game mode, and thus image processing causes the game to run badly, with high input delay.

If this is the case, is there any way to adjust the TV settings such that it treats the PC connection the same as it would a console? If this is not the case, what would the problem be?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.