[SOLVED] PC troubles, GPU died not sure what is caused it.

Aug 15, 2019
Hey there I had a GTX 1060 6GB installed on my PC

Motherboard: Crosshair VI Hero
RAM: Vengance 16gb
Storage: M.2 SSD 500GB, 2 mechanical hard drives (currently unplugged)

One day I hear a fan (not sure which) go into super overdrive whirring so I power down my pc, wait a bit and try to turn it back on. Nothing appears on screen.

I unplugged everything and opened the case and noticed nothing different about my components. I closed it up and tried to power on again, nothing shows up on the screen but the fans and motherboard light up.

At this point I try to use my fiance's gtx 1060 in the same slot and when I power it on, she noticed a weird smell and I power it off again. The smell was almost overheating/burning like. I'm pretty sure something killed her card as well as mine.

I got my card RMA'd through EVGA's website AND I went ahead to Microcenter to purchase a new power supply in case it was faulty and burning out my GPUs

They sent over the RMA'd card and I plug everything together again using the new power supply. The fans spin but no picture comes up, second time the fans dont spin at all and the GPU doesn't work on my fiance's PC.

But I pull out an old R9 390x and a picture does show (albeit with some blue lines on the screen - but everything is functional. I have now gotten an advanced RMA for the GTX1060 they sent me, they think it was Dead On Arrival. When I get the new card I will try it on my fiance's PC first to confirm it is a working card, but I'm nervous to put it in my PC because I feel like something else could be killing it.

My question is: Is there anything else that could be killing my GPU even with a new Power Supply of the same watts?

Advanced RMA GPU card will arrive on 8/20, so no further testing can be done. I'm free to answer any questions about this as well to give further insight.

Solution
Take the MB out, check its bottom to see there is something wrong, because the GPU works in your fiance's PC , that means the MB( pciex16 slot ) may get damage, or something like the electrical short circuit.
Aug 15, 2019
Take the MB out, check its bottom to see there is something wrong, because the GPU works in your fiance's PC , that means the MB( pciex16 slot ) may get damage, or something like the electrical short circuit.

I have to wait for the GPU to come in from EVGA again but I will definitely check the motherboard when I get home. Not sure why my r9 390x would work without issues though.