Question PC Troubleshooting after House Fire Part 2

Jul 25, 2020
Hey guys,

I have an update on my problem, which you can find here in the original thread but now I have a completely new problem that I thought I might run by you guys.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/hvkjd1 View: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/hvkjd1/pc\_troubleshooting\_after\_house\_fire/

So, the PSU was working by paper clip test. I opened the chassis and checked the power connectors manually (all connections seemed to be in place). I then removed the CPU to take a look at it. I think I had initially left too much paste on it and it seems like either I, or the guys who supposedly were trying to fix the PC, bent some pins on the CPU. I did my best with a razor blade but I still lost 2 pins (broken) in the same row. Still, I seated it and after leaving the the PC open air for a few days, it turned on miraculously. Of course, I was excited as hell. I was able to enter Windows with all of my data/installs intact. It was beautiful. However, I went into the BIOS and saw that only one of my RAM sticks was working or being detected rather. My RAM was in the A1/B1 slots as recommended by ASUS. So I went about testing each RAM in each slot. Here was the problem; both RAM sticks worked fine if placed individually in either A1 or A2. However, whenever I put one individually in B1/B2, or put a stick in A1/A2 and then the next stick in B1/B2, the PC would not recognize the second stick of RAM in the B1/B2 channel. If I put both working sticks in A1/A2, it detects both but at a reduced MHz level(\~1800 with both in) than it should. Now its interesting to note that by G Skill Trident Z RAM that I'm using is not on the QVL list for my Mobo. But that doesn't explain why the RAM worked for almost 2 years and now all of a sudden does not. More on that later. I thought, maybe its the CPU with the broken pins. So I put in my old, undamaged Ryzen 1700x. Same problem. I tried old G Skill Flare X RAM 3200; exact same problem. So now I was thinking that maybe the Mobo shorted. I was lucky to find the same board online(ASUS Crosshair Hero VII Wifi), brand new, at a discounted price. I've put the new board in, connected everything, and WOMP, still the same problem with both CPUs and both kits of RAM. Except this time, the system won't even boot if I put a stick in the B channels. The Q-code is F9 > Od. I looked online and there are several threads about this specifically about my Mobo and they all vary in what the solution is. Some people RMA'd the board and others didn't have to do anything and the problem resolved with some tweaking. I updated the Mobo's BIOS via USB to the latest version, still the same problems....

My thought process now is

(1) It's highly unlikely that I had the same problem on my old Mobo and now a brand new board. A short AND a DOA? Doesn't add up or I'm in a real patch of bad luck. So most likely, nothing was wrong with my old board. There's something else going on...

(2) So why is the Mobo rejecting the RAM now after 2 years of complete uninterrupted use?? Maybe it isn't - maybe a PSU pin supplying the B channels isn't functioning correctly? But then that wouldn't even allow the RAM to be detected when it clearly is. The mobo wouldn't know to prevent POST if it wasn't even detecting a stick in the slot. So its seeing something and saying "I don't like this". But in A1 or A2, its happy...

What am I missing here? So I don't spend more money on goose chases...

I know its a long read, esp with the previous thread. TLDR On that; after house fire about 2 months ago, PC wouldn't even boot but Mobo lights would turn on when plugged in. Thought I had to rebuild. Initially thought PSU was the problem, but found out that was working. The rest as above

white.a.drew

Respectable
Oct 14, 2017
Hey guys,

I have an update on my problem, which you can find here in the original thread but now I have a completely new problem that I thought I might run by you guys.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/hvkjd1 View: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/hvkjd1/pc\_troubleshooting\_after\_house\_fire/

So, the PSU was working by paper clip test. I opened the chassis and checked the power connectors manually (all connections seemed to be in place). I then removed the CPU to take a look at it. I think I had initially left too much paste on it and it seems like either I, or the guys who supposedly were trying to fix the PC, bent some pins on the CPU. I did my best with a razor blade but I still lost 2 pins (broken) in the same row. Still, I seated it and after leaving the the PC open air for a few days, it turned on miraculously. Of course, I was excited as hell. I was able to enter Windows with all of my data/installs intact. It was beautiful. However, I went into the BIOS and saw that only one of my RAM sticks was working or being detected rather. My RAM was in the A1/B1 slots as recommended by ASUS. So I went about testing each RAM in each slot. Here was the problem; both RAM sticks worked fine if placed individually in either A1 or A2. However, whenever I put one individually in B1/B2, or put a stick in A1/A2 and then the next stick in B1/B2, the PC would not recognize the second stick of RAM in the B1/B2 channel. If I put both working sticks in A1/A2, it detects both but at a reduced MHz level(\~1800 with both in) than it should. Now its interesting to note that by G Skill Trident Z RAM that I'm using is not on the QVL list for my Mobo. But that doesn't explain why the RAM worked for almost 2 years and now all of a sudden does not. More on that later. I thought, maybe its the CPU with the broken pins. So I put in my old, undamaged Ryzen 1700x. Same problem. I tried old G Skill Flare X RAM 3200; exact same problem. So now I was thinking that maybe the Mobo shorted. I was lucky to find the same board online(ASUS Crosshair Hero VII Wifi), brand new, at a discounted price. I've put the new board in, connected everything, and WOMP, still the same problem with both CPUs and both kits of RAM. Except this time, the system won't even boot if I put a stick in the B channels. The Q-code is F9 > Od. I looked online and there are several threads about this specifically about my Mobo and they all vary in what the solution is. Some people RMA'd the board and others didn't have to do anything and the problem resolved with some tweaking. I updated the Mobo's BIOS via USB to the latest version, still the same problems....

(1) It's highly unlikely that I had the same problem on my old Mobo and now a brand new board. A short AND a DOA? Doesn't add up or I'm in a real patch of bad luck. So most likely, nothing was wrong with my old board. There's something else going on...

(2) So why is the Mobo rejecting the RAM now after 2 years of complete uninterrupted use?? Maybe it isn't - maybe a PSU pin supplying the B channels isn't functioning correctly? But then that wouldn't even allow the RAM to be detected when it clearly is. The mobo wouldn't know to prevent POST if it wasn't even detecting a stick in the slot. So its seeing something and saying "I don't like this". But in A1 or A2, its happy...

I know its a long read, esp with the previous thread. TLDR On that; after house fire about 2 months ago, PC wouldn't even boot but Mobo lights would turn on when plugged in. Thought I had to rebuild. Initially thought PSU was the problem, but found out that was working. The rest as above
It's because of the broken pins on the cpu

Check YouTube for a channel called "Tech Yes City".

The guy outlines a couple of products he uses to do what he calls the tech yes lovin, which is to spray it down with a couple of things available to him in Aussy. He also does a video discussing the products he would use alternately for US market. I would personally warn against the brake spray, particularly without gloves and mask, but the all purpose spray and a brushing may be what that mobo and ram need.

Jul 25, 2020
Oh im sorry im brain likes to skip as i read, you need to get a hold of the people that did the cleaning/estimating for replacments the mobo got damage that wasn't seeable. They need to redo they're estimate
They gave me everything the PC cost already. But that doesnt explain why a new mobo and 2 diff ram kits dont work on it

Jul 25, 2020
Check YouTube for a channel called "Tech Yes City".

The guy outlines a couple of products he uses to do what he calls the tech yes lovin, which is to spray it down with a couple of things available to him in Aussy. He also does a video discussing the products he would use alternately for US market. I would personally warn against the brake spray, particularly without gloves and mask, but the all purpose spray and a brushing may be what that mobo and ram need.
For the RAM? mobo is new lol. RAM works individually for both...

Vic 40

Polypheme
Ambassador
So, the PSU was working by paper clip test.

Initially thought PSU was the problem, but found out that was working.
The paperclip test in the end only says that the psu has some power and that the fan works, doesn't say that the psu works correctly and can power a full system.

Reactions: white.a.drew

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS