Question PC Turn On issues and games crashing

Aug 31, 2022
Hello, I have a couple of issues, I don't know if they are related.

1- Sometimes my PC won't turn on. So I turn off the PSU from its own switch, wait 30 secs and turn it on again, then the PC turns on.
2- My games crash way too often that it gave me PTSD. After I switched to 1440p monitor and resolution, crashes were more intense, so it might be the GPU can't handle the load maybe? I feel like any game I play runs on a thin line and is just about to crash.

System specs:
PSU - NZXT C850
CPU - Intel 12600
MB - MSI H670 Tomahawk DDR4
RAM - 2x16GB DDR4 GSKILL Ripjaws 3600 mhz ( I use them on 3600 mhz XMP profile)
GPU - AMD RX 6800 XT (using on default settings, no OC)
OS - Windows 11 Pro with the latest updates
SSD - Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB PCIe M.2

All drivers are up to date and I have reinstalled the system a few times, even tried Win 10.

Affected games:
  • Cyberpunk - Used to flatline after 15 20 mins of gameplay, after 1440p resolution it takes like 5 mins.
  • Destiny 2 - I used to be able play without problems but after 1440p, I had a few crashes that I have worked around by limiting FPS and turning off some options
  • GTA V - Crashed a couple of times then I lowered settings, capped frame rate, I was able to play a few hours before it CTD.
  • Forza Horizon 4 - It was mostly fine with 1080p resolution but after 1440p I had a few crashes.
  • Mafia II Definitive Edition - Crashed after a couple of hours
  • League of Legends - Yes, even league of legends crashed a couple of times.
Games with no problems, played only at 1080p:
  • Mafia Definitive Edition - It was great. Only crashed one during a mission, but I was able to play it for lots of hours with no issues at the highest settings and finished the game.
  • The Forest - A couple of hours without any issue.
  • Bulletstorm Full Clip Edition - Many hours, no issues.
  • Metro 2033 Redux - no issues
  • Metro Last Light Redux - no issues
  • Far Cry Primal (this one is only at 1440p) - one hour of gameplay, no issues, but I played with lowered settings.
Some notes:
  • I tried clean installing drivers, tried different versions.
  • I tried safe booting and turning off unnecessary things to eliminate conflicting apps
  • I tried those games on freshly installed systems. With no malware etc risk. Both in Win 10 and 11. ISO's were downloaded from official Microsoft website.
  • I used Windows memory diagonistic tool, no errors have been found with the memory.
  • I turned on performance metrics overlay to monitor temps, games crashed with 90% GPU load, 85-90 degrees of junction temp.
  • sfc /scannow shows no issues.
  • I don't use any antivirus software
Main telling part is that games previously ran fine did crash at 1440p. And the most games that haven't crashed at all were played at 1080p. So I thought maybe the GPU wasn't loaded much at 1080p but once I switched to 1440p the load was too much. It's a new system so could it be some faulty hardware?
I have dxdiag ready too if necessary, I could upload to google drive or somewhere.
Or is there any other test I could do to pinpoint the issue?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Hello, I have a couple of issues, I don't know if they are related.

1- Sometimes my PC won't turn on. So I turn off the PSU from its own switch, wait 30 secs and turn it on again, then the PC turns on.
2- My games crash way too often that it gave me PTSD. After I switched to 1440p monitor and resolution, crashes were more intense, so it might be the GPU can't handle the load maybe? I feel like any game I play runs on a thin line and is just about to crash.

System specs:
PSU - NZXT C850
CPU - Intel 12600
MB - MSI H670 Tomahawk DDR4
RAM - 2x16GB DDR4 GSKILL Ripjaws 3600 mhz ( I use them on 3600 mhz XMP profile)
GPU - AMD RX 6800 XT (using on default settings, no OC)
OS - Windows 11 Pro with the latest updates
SSD - Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB PCIe M.2

All drivers are up to date and I have reinstalled the system a few times, even tried Win 10.

Affected games:
  • Cyberpunk - Used to flatline after 15 20 mins of gameplay, after 1440p resolution it takes like 5 mins.
  • Destiny 2 - I used to be able play without problems but after 1440p, I had a few crashes that I have worked around by limiting FPS and turning off some options
  • GTA V - Crashed a couple of times then I lowered settings, capped frame rate, I was able to play a few hours before it CTD.
  • Forza Horizon 4 - It was mostly fine with 1080p resolution but after 1440p I had a few crashes.
  • Mafia II Definitive Edition - Crashed after a couple of hours
  • League of Legends - Yes, even league of legends crashed a couple of times.
Games with no problems, played only at 1080p:
  • Mafia Definitive Edition - It was great. Only crashed one during a mission, but I was able to play it for lots of hours with no issues at the highest settings and finished the game.
  • The Forest - A couple of hours without any issue.
  • Bulletstorm Full Clip Edition - Many hours, no issues.
  • Metro 2033 Redux - no issues
  • Metro Last Light Redux - no issues
  • Far Cry Primal (this one is only at 1440p) - one hour of gameplay, no issues, but I played with lowered settings.
Some notes:
  • I tried clean installing drivers, tried different versions.
  • I tried safe booting and turning off unnecessary things to eliminate conflicting apps
  • I tried those games on freshly installed systems. With no malware etc risk. Both in Win 10 and 11. ISO's were downloaded from official Microsoft website.
  • I used Windows memory diagonistic tool, no errors have been found with the memory.
  • I turned on performance metrics overlay to monitor temps, games crashed with 90% GPU load, 85-90 degrees of junction temp.
  • sfc /scannow shows no issues.
  • I don't use any antivirus software
Main telling part is that games previously ran fine did crash at 1440p. And the most games that haven't crashed at all were played at 1080p. So I thought maybe the GPU wasn't loaded much at 1080p but once I switched to 1440p the load was too much. It's a new system so could it be some faulty hardware?
I have dxdiag ready too if necessary, I could upload to google drive or somewhere.
Or is there any other test I could do to pinpoint the issue?
Thanks.
What psu do you have it sounds like it's failing to provide what's needed

It's NZXT C850, 850W and well above what's recommended. But I guess it could be faulty?
From what I understand this psu is using shared rails, and you're kinda pushing the limits of what I would recommend for a psu with shared rails instead of seperate.

I would recommendsimething more like this psu is, doesn't have to be this one but a multi rail psu with seperate power to the rails instead of shared power
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ..._2RZxh6K5UopIL2M73vp-1m4QD08bC-8aAjaQEALw_wcB

TRENDING THREADS