Jan 23, 2020
Hi,

Specs:

ASUS Prime H310M-R R2.0 mobo
i7 9700KF
RTX 2060
16GB RAM
650W PSU

So my brother's PC turned itself off randomly while he was in the menu of a game (nothing too intensive). Upon trying to turn it back on at the case, nothing happens. He and I have turned it off and back on, unplugged and replugged, and still nothing. He only had his mouse, keyboard, headphones, and ethernet plugged in, so there was no power draw out of the ordinary (same peripherals that have been plugged in for years). I have tested his temps before and they were nothing out of the ordinary, and he has not been experiencing performance issues.

Although it did not power on, there was a light on for the graphics card (which stays on even when the system is not on but is connected to power), as well as the RGB of the AIO cooler and the rear fans powering up for a fraction of a second before returning to silence. The frontpanel LED does not power up. The AIO cooler and rear fan also spin for a fraction of a second with the graphics card completely removed.

I replaced the PSU with a quality 650W and the exact same issue stated above persists. I have tried powering up via bridging the power connectors and the exact same event occurs. It may be worth noting that I can only bridge/"power on" the pc once before it does not allow me to do it again without turning the mains for the surge protector extension lead on and off. I have tried a different surge protector extension lead and the same issue persists. I also used a different power cable for the PSU after swapping them out.

I imagine this is a motherboard issue? I obviously cannot test the other components because I cannot boot the computer.

Many thanks in advance.

MmmPetrol

Commendable
Jan 23, 2020
This, says "I don't actually want help". Sorry, but it's true. If you want help with a power related problem, then you need to take a look at the label on the PSU itself and give use the actual model number of the power supply. It's kind of important as a starting point.
I replaced the old 550W cooler master PSU (which I do not have access to right now, nor do I have the box because his machine was prebuilt) with a known working EVGA 650W GQ (210-GQ-0650-V1).

Ok. Good deal. The GQ is decent. Not great, but pretty decent.

Have you tried completely eliminating the surge protector and plugging directly into the wall socket, which is how the PSU should be plugged in anyhow unless you have a UPS battery backup or a very high quality power strip with surge protection. Normal store shelf power strips don't qualify as high quality, including those sold by Monster, Belkin, Amazon basics, etc.

If plugging directly into the wall socket doesn't work and since you've had the same issue with two different power supplies, it becomes a lot more probable that it's a motherboard issue. I would however pull the graphics card and see if the system will power up at all. Just had another thread like this one where it wouldn't power up and it was because of the graphics card. Internal short triggering protections or something.