Question PC turned off and now only PSU turns on

JotaCanutto

Prominent
May 10, 2019
I've just built my new PC yesterday and what happened was the following: first attempt to boot only the PSU seemed to work (I could sense and hear the fan spinning). Second attempt also failed, but in the third the hole system turned on. I installed everything and played the entire night. Today I woke up and turned the PC on, used it and played for about 5 hours and now it turned off out off nowhere and wont boot again (Same situation, only PSU is on cause of the fan spinning). Another strange thing, my keyboard is a Cougar 200K and it lights up simply by connecting it on the PC with the PSU switch turned on.

JotaCanutto

Prominent
May 10, 2019
Occurred the same as yesterday after I builted it, some failed attemps to turn it on and after a few minutes it booted.

The PC specs are:

-Ryzen 5 2600
-AsRock B450M Pro4
-MSI GTX 1660 VENTUS XS OC
-Corsair CX650M
-Crucial Ballistix Sport AT 8GB 2666Mhz (1x8GB)
-Crucial BX500 480GB

What slot, EXACTLY, do you have your memory module installed in?

It SHOULD be installed in the A2 slot, located here:

15dqivl.jpg

It might not be a bad idea to pull the motherboard back out and make sure there is not a standoff installed in the motherboard tray in a location where there is no standoff hole on your motherboard. Since you have a microATX board it's possible that your case came with (Or you installed) a standoff in a location intended for an ATX board, rather than a microATX board that uses fewer standoffs.

If the memory was already in the correct location and reseating both the memory and the graphics card doesn't cure the issue, I'd pull the board, check the standoffs, and then pull the CPU cooler and check for bent pins. That will of course require re-pasting the CPU after cleaning off both contact surfaces so you'll need to get a good thermal paste if you don't already have one and some isopropyl alcohol for cleaning the old paste off with.