[SOLVED] PC Turned Off Randomly, Won't Turn On Again

Apr 7, 2020
Hi, I have my first build here. I just got my CPU (Ryzen 5 2600) and put that in. My PC booted up and after about 20 to 30 minutes it randomly turned off without a sound. I actually turned my back for a couple of minutes so I could get the driver for my wireless adaptor and when I turned back, the PC was off. I pressed the power button, and a I had lights for the case turn on for a brief second and the CPU fsn spins briefly. If I press again, nothing. If I disconnect the power cable and after a period connect again, then I get the same thing:very brief activityas stated above. The fan lights do not turn on though. What can this be?

Solution
Open up the case and disconnect everything. All power leads from the power supply to other components, SATA all drives from the motherboard, any M.2 drives on the board as well, your graphics card and any other add-in cards installed, all of your RAM, etc.. Wait about 30 seconds and plug in only the main 24 pin power lead, along with any 8 and 4 pin supplemental power leads for the CPU. Turn the machine back on.

If you get no activity, your looking at either a faulty power supply, or faulty motherboard (power supply more likely). If it does turn on, start reconnecting things one at a time (One RAM stick, power on to test. One M.2 drive, test again. One SATA drive, test again. Graphics card, test again... etc.). Once it quits working...
Open up the case and disconnect everything. All power leads from the power supply to other components, SATA all drives from the motherboard, any M.2 drives on the board as well, your graphics card and any other add-in cards installed, all of your RAM, etc.. Wait about 30 seconds and plug in only the main 24 pin power lead, along with any 8 and 4 pin supplemental power leads for the CPU. Turn the machine back on.

If you get no activity, your looking at either a faulty power supply, or faulty motherboard (power supply more likely). If it does turn on, start reconnecting things one at a time (One RAM stick, power on to test. One M.2 drive, test again. One SATA drive, test again. Graphics card, test again... etc.). Once it quits working, you've found your faulty part.

Solution

Andi_4

Reputable
Aug 27, 2016
Does the fan spin on PSU? Test the psu with a paper clip see if it does power up then go from there. If it did spin for a second that sounds like somethings shorting to me. Mine does same thing lol. My PSU is 2 weeks old though. Mine has something to do with kettle lead for psu or the pins what kettle lead go into.