Question PC turned off suddenly and won't turn back on ? (motherboard suspected)

Omar Aman

Reputable
Jul 18, 2017
Hello everyone,

My friend's computer recently shut down during a gaming session, and simply refuses to turn back on. No power LEDs, no spinning fans, nothing. At first, I suspected that the power supply might have failed, but after taking the PSU back to my place and testing it with two different computers, I can quite confidently say that it works as intended as it could power them.

Now the motherboard (an AsRock Fatality ab350 Gaming K4) has always had a faulty CMOS battery socket, if the computer ever lost power, it would need 15-30 minutes to POST after regaining power. Replacing the CMOS battery does not help. I strongly suspect that the motherboard is the issue here. I tried the CPU ( a Ryzen 5 1600x) in my personal system and it does work.
The system specs are as follows:
Ryzen 5 1600x
Fatality AB350 Gaming K4
XFX RX 570 8GB
16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, 3200MHz
Cooler Master MWE 550 bronze power supply.

I would like to know if it is possible for a motherboard to be so dead that a computer would show absolutely no signs of life, and if the motherboard needs to be replaced. I do not see any swollen capacitors or anything that would visually indicate it to be dead. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS