PC turning itself off

pcham

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Hi everyone,

So my homebuilt pc has been working fine for almost a year I think and now it's facing a really annoying issue. After booting the system and using it for like a couple of hours more or less, it suddenly just shuts off on its own without any warning and I can't turn it back on for some time. After 30 mins it'll boot up again but keeps repeating the mentioned problem. I noticed that 2 or 3 times it did this when opening Google Chrome but it also shuts itself off while in the middle of a game or just browsing. I checked the CPU temperature and its normal (around 44 degree C during casual use). Did a stress test and after 1 hour the pc turned itself off like described. I don't know which component is faulty but I think it's the PSU (Seasonic 650 Watt). Unfortunately I don't have any spare parts or another computer to swap components and identify the problem. Here's my rig specs:
8 GB DDR3 RAM
Intel i5 (5th gen I think)
Don't remember the name of motherboard
Asus Strix GTX 970
Seasonic 650w PSU
Cooler Master hyper 212 EVO heatsink

Thanks for your time :)

Solution
if your not getting blue screens it sounds like a power issue especially since you've checked your cpu temps. that points to either the motherboard or the psu as you are suspecting. since it seems to work for a while a standard psu tester would most likely not show any issue.

recommendations in order:

1)plug machine into a different outlet (directly into wall, no power strips)

2)remove any overclocks. recommend full cmos reset.
http://www.howtogeek.com/131623/how-to-clear-your-computers-cmos-to-reset-bios-settings/

3)take components out of case and rebuild it on a desk. boot normally and see if issue occurs. this may point to something in your case shorting the motherboard or a cable needing to be reset. something may have...
if your not getting blue screens it sounds like a power issue especially since you've checked your cpu temps. that points to either the motherboard or the psu as you are suspecting. since it seems to work for a while a standard psu tester would most likely not show any issue.

recommendations in order:

1)plug machine into a different outlet (directly into wall, no power strips)

2)remove any overclocks. recommend full cmos reset.
http://www.howtogeek.com/131623/how-to-clear-your-computers-cmos-to-reset-bios-settings/

3)take components out of case and rebuild it on a desk. boot normally and see if issue occurs. this may point to something in your case shorting the motherboard or a cable needing to be reset. something may have shifted over time.

4)rma psu. contact manufacturer first to have them help troubleshoot.

5)rma motherboard. contact manufacturer first to have them help troubleshoot.

Solution