Question (Pc turning of 0-2 mins after turning on) (now pc turning off 0-10 mins into gaming) now turning off randomly and also when a game is open

Mar 20, 2019
So I made a post on here not too long about when my PC would black screen when I open a game but I found a solution for that but a couple of days ago my PC started turning it's self off randomly from 2-4 hours of it being on whether I was gaming or not.

So just an hour ago it black screened so I tried turning it back on but about 0-2 mins in it shut off and then a couple second later is quickly turned itself back on and off immediately without me touching anything but the ram RGB lights stayed on.

View: https://youtu.be/HMyJ491KXM8

Video to show what happens

Specs:
  • MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Duke OC 11GB
  • I5 8600k
  • Kingston HyperX Predator 16GB 2933
  • Cooler Master MWE Gold 750W
  • Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 3
  • Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler
03-April EDIT: just so everything is in one place I'm going to explain everything that has happened here.
So after solving my first problem where it would shut off 0-2 mins of booting, I ran into the problem that whenever I would run a game is would black screen anywhere from 0-10 mins into gaming and I hadn't found a solution for that so I just haven't been gaming at all but all of a sudden it black screened randomly when I was watching youtube and would instantly shut off when I pressed the power button and the PSU also made a single clicking noise whenever I would power it on unless I left it unplugged for around 20 mins or so then when I would try to power it on it would work fine booting into windows with the problem that now whenever I open a game it black screens instantly and it has not yet black screened while doing anything but opening a game.

EDIT 2: so not even 30 minutes after making this edit my PC just black screened while watching YouTube again with a maximum of 10 tabs open and nothing else running in the background that I know of.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2019
I left it off for about an hour then tried again and as soon as is it shut it's self off I switched off and unplugged it and felt around to see if anything was radiating any warmth but everything was cold inside.
I also just cleaned out all the dust and replaced the CPU thermal paste.

Mar 20, 2019
I would try starting it up with one RAM only (interchange them to test both).
So I tested both of the ram sticks and both times it booted in to the desktop so I put the both back in and it booted but when ever I would open a game it would black screen so I removed my nvme M.2 SSD because that was was causing it last time and everything seems to be working fine now.
I will update if anything else happens.
Thanks for the help.
EDIT: so the problem is not fixed because I can run games but about 1 min in it black screens again.
Also now most of the time when I try to turn it on in shuts off immediately and I have to turn it off from the back to try again and on the 5th try it normally works

Last edited:

McKeu

Proper
Mar 27, 2019
Just out of curiosity, can you change your video cards PCIe socket and try again?
If it only happens while gaming, there might be problems related to 3d rendering,

Mar 20, 2019
New problem now, PC shuts off instantly as soon as I press the power button.
EDIT: I have just left it off for around 20 mins and now it boots into windows, but I would still like to get some idea to what's causing my other problems. Also this problem occurs everytime the PC blackscreens (having to unplug for about 20 mins before it will boot into windows)

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2019
Still haven't found a solution for the problem but at the moment I can't use my computer at all because it is now turning off at random times and everytime it shuts down I have to unplug it for around 20 or more minutes and some times it still won't turn on even if its been off all night. I would be very grateful if someone could give me some ideas of what parts could be broken so I can get the part replaced,
Thanks.

Apr 4, 2019
By the photos, it looked like you may be overclocking your GPU and CPU. I'm not entirely sure if you are. However, if you are, I'd recommend setting all OC settings and BIOS settings back to default. Sounds like you could possibly have an unstable overclock, even with safe temperatures.

Did you try playing any games with just one stick of RAM in to see if that is an issue? You could always test the RAM with MemTest86. Link below:

You can try replacing the CMOS battery. It's usually a CR2032 I think. Maybe that's causing an issue and it's relatively cheap to try.

This is just a regular idiot thing, but I've done it it. Make sure all your power cables are plugged all the way in. Even if they look like it, try reseating them. That 24 pin power cable has been the bane of many pc builders existence.

Mar 20, 2019
By the photos, it looked like you may be overclocking your GPU and CPU. I'm not entirely sure if you are. However, if you are, I'd recommend setting all OC settings and BIOS settings back to default. Sounds like you could possibly have an unstable overclock, even with safe temperatures.

Did you try playing any games with just one stick of RAM in to see if that is an issue? You could always test the RAM with MemTest86. Link below:

You can try replacing the CMOS battery. It's usually a CR2032 I think. Maybe that's causing an issue and it's relatively cheap to try.

This is just a regular idiot thing, but I've done it it. Make sure all your power cables are plugged all the way in. Even if they look like it, try reseating them. That 24 pin power cable has been the bane of many pc builders existence.
I did at one point have my CPU overclocked to 4.7 for a while but at soon as the problem started I put it back to default.

I have tested both sticks of ram seperately and my PC still crashes when I open a game.

I have also ran MemTest86 and here are the results View: http://imgur.com/a/2CRayuy

I also replaced the CMOS battery and have also left it out for 5 or more mins to reset the motherboard.

And I have just about taken apart and rebuilt my whole computer including the 24-pin cord.

Thanks for the suggestions and hopefully this can help.

Apr 4, 2019
I hope this helps. Let me know if you have good results. If the issues continue, I would, as someone stated above, recommend trying a different PSU. It’s a possibility that it could be an issue. I’ve never used the Cooler Master PSUs so I’m not entirely sure of their quality. I’m glad to see it’s an 80+ gold though.

EDIT: Glad to see that your memory looks okay.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS