PC turning off out of nowhere while gaming

ckouf96

Prominent
May 10, 2017
I built a gaming rig a couple months ago. Everything has been running fine until recently. While playing one of my games which I play often, my computer has started turning off without warning. It is not even a reboot but a solid shutdown. The only way to get it back on is to unplug it and plug it back in otherwise the power button does not work. I have scoured the internet but I cannot find any solutions. I need help please

Solution
when you play the games, it's called load. that's when components like CPU, GPU and RAM consume most power and emitting most heat.
Try to game with the side panel of the case open. If it continues to happen, most probably it's PSU issue, try to test it with another one from other computer. The one you have is probably far from best in terms of quality and reliability, that's why it's probable.
If your CPU is overclocked (i guess it is), it might be also MB VRM issue. it's the components on the MB that are responsible for delivering power to CPU. on this board, it is basic. So might be worth to try to down clock the CPU a bit. Open case should also help with VRM.
Other than that, there could be many other reasons. I listed the most...

ckouf96

Prominent
May 10, 2017

My power supply is an EVGA 500W. I have a deep cool tesseract case. There is a big fan on the back of the case above the psu, and the psu also has its own fan. A third fan is located over the processor.
GPU: MSI Radeon RX480
CPU: AMD FX3800
MOBO: ASROCK 970M PRO3
And again this only happened when I was playing my game. I was monitoring my temps and nothing seemed out of the ordinary

when you play the games, it's called load. that's when components like CPU, GPU and RAM consume most power and emitting most heat.
Try to game with the side panel of the case open. If it continues to happen, most probably it's PSU issue, try to test it with another one from other computer. The one you have is probably far from best in terms of quality and reliability, that's why it's probable.
If your CPU is overclocked (i guess it is), it might be also MB VRM issue. it's the components on the MB that are responsible for delivering power to CPU. on this board, it is basic. So might be worth to try to down clock the CPU a bit. Open case should also help with VRM.
Other than that, there could be many other reasons. I listed the most probable and easiest to test.
Keep posting about progress or if you have more questions.

Solution